Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

Propane furnace problem

Does any one else have a problem with their propane furnace firing up at altitude? Mine starts first try at or near sea level, but seems the higher I am (altitude that is) the more attempts I have to give it to start. Sometimes I have to let it go through it's start up cycle (three attempts to light per cycle) a half dozen times or so until it will light. Once it lights the first time, it is normally good through the night (except one time).

The propane water heater starts first time every time and is right next to the furnace (EB50 style), so my assumption is that propane makes it back there OK unless there is a problem after the "T" fitting near both units?

It may not be an altitude issue, just the only pattern I can see.

I'm going to ask SMB about it when I'm there next week, but figured I would see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #2

At what altitudes are you experiencing problems?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #3

Mine does the same thing sometimes. SMB West said thats just the way they are. Doesnt seem right to me, thats when you want the furnace.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #4

I had this problem intermittently since I purchased the unit. It finally got to the point where it would hardly ever turn on. I took it camping world and they diagnosed it as reseating the connectors on the card. I was skeptical, but it has worked ever since, but it is not the highest used item in the rig.

Greg
2004 E350 EB V10
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #5

So far my furnace fires up no problem at 8-10k. Sometimes I bleed a bit of pressure from the tank before starting it for the first time. SMB recommended I do that if I ever have trouble getting it started.
Rob
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #6

Garage
I live at 7500' and if i follow the instructions provided in the manual it'll light right up, no issues.

I'll have to give it a whirl just turning on the propane and setting the temp and turning on the thermostat instead of following the on-off-on cycle they rec in the manual.

how do you guys get it going?

d

Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #7

Manual? Hmmm, I've just been pushing the lever on the thermostat over. What's the manual say?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. Haven't really tracked at what altitudes, but probably between around 6K' and 10K' is when I've had trouble.

Since the water heater fires up with no problem, I don't know if bleeding the tank would be the issue since propane is obviously getting back there.

I'll hit up SMB and see what they say. If they come up with nothing, I guess I'll just open it up and start cleaning, re-checking fittings, re-seating cards, etc. and see if anything helps. Since I live near sea level, hard to tell if I've fixed it until I need it.

Phil

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #9

I dropped my van off at SMB yesterday for some work and asked about the furnace. They said that over 4000' elevation the propane furnaces can have difficulty starting thus the reason for more diesel powered furnaces now (plus one less thing needing propane). I'll check with Suburban and see if they have any suggestions for improved ignition of the furnace at altitude.

Phil

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

Re: Propane furnace problem

Random old thread bump. I have a propane furnace. The manual say that over 4000' you need to take it to someone to have it "de-rated". Anyone ever done that?

My camping trip in 2 weeks is at 6600'. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Any recent developements? I assume mine is a Suburban but I am not near the manual right now.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote