Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I like the old Adventure Wagen style, but can't seem to get it any longer (Jimmy Buffet got the last of them made as far as I can tell). Someone turned me on to Tufport (28" Grandsport top) which has a similar style that I like. A little lower in the front and higher in the back where I want a fixed elevated bed.
That was me… before I was doing tops I was going to go with a tufport they make great tops and are priced really well.

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I am one of those who made the switch, in the I past had an older high top, thought i wanted a pop top and so i bought a SMB pop top, it wasn't for me and I am now currently doing a cruiser/super camper high top. There's a number of pop top vs. high top threads that point out pros and cons which im sure you've read already. It comes down to (like everything) personal preference and use. I'm super excited for it!
I to really wanted the adventure wagon top, the molds for this top were given to SMB, when i contacted SMB to see if they were willing to do a small run of them they said no way. Sad!
I might have done that tufport if i had known about them before hand, especially as they are fairly local to me, much more so than Fiberine.
I really like the reverse flange of the fiberine for mounting. Im still in process and currently having a roof rack built, soon enough she'll come together.
Funny thing about the adventure wagon top that SMB has… they won't sell it . It's value as a plug is $1400 to 1600.00 and they won't make any tops from it. Silly if you ask me… But then again they just force the hand to buy something else either from them or from someone else. If they were smart they would lease the plug per year and take a royalty… not sure they always make good decisions. But then again they're really not into making tops and I'm pretty sure that fiberine actually produces the pop tops for SMB but SMB owns the plugs for the pop tops.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Funny thing about the adventure wagon top that SMB has… they won't sell it . It's value as a plug is $1400 to 1600.00 and they won't make any tops from it. Silly if you ask me… But then again they just force the hand to buy something else either from them or from someone else. If they were smart they would lease the plug per year and take a royalty… not sure they always make good decisions. But then again they're really not into making tops and I'm pretty sure that fiberine actually produces the pop tops for SMB but SMB owns the plugs for the pop tops.
Hey MSD, I forgot it was you that passed that along to me. Their prices are reasonable and my research shows they make a good product. SMB gave me the same answer about the Adventure Wagon top. Didn't even want to discuss it.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #14

We have had both, first a CCV poptop which was awesome in every way Then we got a van with a fixed top and it is awesome in every way as well! We really like the warmth and insulation of the fixed top, but also loved the venting and "tent bed" as my 3 year old called it, in the pop top. We do however think the fixed top edges out the pop top due to the lack of setup time and ease of use, there is less "fiddle factor" when there is no top to pop. I am not saying we were dissatisfied with the pop top in any way, it's just a logistics preference.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train View Post
We have had both, first a CCV poptop which was awesome in every way Then we got a van with a fixed top and it is awesome in every way as well! We really like the warmth and insulation of the fixed top, but also loved the venting and "tent bed" as my 3 year old called it, in the pop top. We do however think the fixed top edges out the pop top due to the lack of setup time and ease of use, there is less "fiddle factor" when there is no top to pop. I am not saying we were dissatisfied with the pop top in any way, it's just a logistics preference.
Thanks c7train. I suspect if I do get a fixed top I'll have similar thoughts of the two paths.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #16

So, if the main reason is leaving the bed set up, blankets, pillows, etc, then swap out the SMB top for a CCV one. It's a bit more expensive, but the top allows all bedding to stay in place (as well as a few duffel bags, etc), and the insulated fabric is much warmer for the cold nights.. It's only money!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
So, if the main reason is leaving the bed set up, blankets, pillows, etc, then swap out the SMB top for a CCV one. It's a bit more expensive, but the top allows all bedding to stay in place (as well as a few duffel bags, etc), and the insulated fabric is much warmer for the cold nights.. It's only money!
I was thinking about that for a while, but at $8,000+ is a bit more than I want to bite off. I can do a fixed high top and interior remodel for that and maybe have a little $$ left over for a beer. I do agree they have nice stuff.

Looks like you are in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the east bay. If it works out, would like to see the CCV top in person. It may sway my decision??

Old 01-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
I was thinking about that for a while, but at $8,000+ is a bit more than I want to bite off. I can do a fixed high top and interior remodel for that and maybe have a little $$ left over for a beer. I do agree they have nice stuff.

Looks like you are in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the east bay. If it works out, would like to see the CCV top in person. It may sway my decision??
Holler if you're in the city, happy to show you the top.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:

And yes, the numbers do change a bit between hard top and CCV top!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #20

I keep going back and forth too. I always wanted a pop-top, but a small part of me really wants a cruiser style top. I've had a hard side truck camper and a pop-up truck camper so I'm definitely familiar with the comfort and convenience. I had no issues re-making a bad (I used an "rv superbed" double sleeping bag with sheet inserts). The main complaint was lack of storage. The dinette was piled up with bedding and pillows on one side, clothes bags on the other. We were constantly shuffling stuff, and it would be the same for a sportsmobile top. Open the top and shuffle the bedding and clothes before we could move around much.

For me, the hard side camper on my truck was 10' tall and I could barely get off pavement anywhere west of the cascades. It really kind of ruined it for me, although it was great on the cold and rain etc. I think the 86" width at the roof was the main problem though, and maybe the narrow van top wouldn't be as bad.

For now I'm waiting to see what MG comes up with, I think a lot of people want just a little higher pop-top to store bedding.

But a cruiser style top would sure be nice to leave a bed made up, kids bedding thrown up top, nice and warm and dry. Better windows up top would make a big difference when it's hot. Maybe something like win-doors that you see on fiberglass truck canopies that could fully open. You can forget about any sort of drive through though. No food, coffee, ATM etc. Leaving young kids in the car isn't really an option for me. Makes it tricky for a daily driver.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote