Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
I keep going back and forth too. I always wanted a pop-top, but a small part of me really wants a cruiser style top. I've had a hard side truck camper and a pop-up truck camper so I'm definitely familiar with the comfort and convenience. I had no issues re-making a bad (I used an "rv superbed" double sleeping bag with sheet inserts). The main complaint was lack of storage. The dinette was piled up with bedding and pillows on one side, clothes bags on the other. We were constantly shuffling stuff, and it would be the same for a sportsmobile top. Open the top and shuffle the bedding and clothes before we could move around much.

For me, the hard side camper on my truck was 10' tall and I could barely get off pavement anywhere west of the cascades. It really kind of ruined it for me, although it was great on the cold and rain etc. I think the 86" width at the roof was the main problem though, and maybe the narrow van top wouldn't be as bad.

For now I'm waiting to see what MG comes up with, I think a lot of people want just a little higher pop-top to store bedding.

But a cruiser style top would sure be nice to leave a bed made up, kids bedding thrown up top, nice and warm and dry. Better windows up top would make a big difference when it's hot. Maybe something like win-doors that you see on fiberglass truck canopies that could fully open. You can forget about any sort of drive through though. No food, coffee, ATM etc. Leaving young kids in the car isn't really an option for me. Makes it tricky for a daily driver.
What is MG working on? I don't think I saw anything on that.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I think the only thing holding me back is overall height when is 4wheeling in the woods. Thinking if I go fixed top route that I'd want to have a "tree slider" rack fabricated (you know, just to get as much weight up high as possible!).

Would be interested to see photos of yours come together.
The roof rack is just about finished, should have new pics of it actually sitting mocked up on the top toward the end of the week. Certainly can share pics if you'd like. I kept it low profile and more or less hugs the top and at least breaks up the "tall" look. It certainly is inspired from Blackeye's and BVerhulst's rig. Referring back to Blackeye's thread he said aluminess custom made his for the voyager top. I contacted aluminess to custom make mine like that for the cruiser top as there is nothing like it and they more or less told me to fly a kite and that it wasn't worth their time.
Its actually surprising how light the roof rack is.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Funny thing about the adventure wagon top that SMB has… they won't sell it . It's value as a plug is $1400 to 1600.00 and they won't make any tops from it. Silly if you ask me… But then again they just force the hand to buy something else either from them or from someone else. If they were smart they would lease the plug per year and take a royalty… not sure they always make good decisions. But then again they're really not into making tops and I'm pretty sure that fiberine actually produces the pop tops for SMB but SMB owns the plugs for the pop tops.
Makes no sense to me why they are just hoarding that plug! The owner/founder of the adventure wagon (pass on now) i think would be sad that SMB turns away people from ordering it. Gone forever.
Ya your right, Fiberine supplies SMB their tops, they just give them different names. Not sure SMB owns the mold cause i just bought the Cruiser/super camper top direct from Fiberine.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Anyone looking for a DIY hard top would be well advised to look into Sampson Fiberglass, here: http://www.sampsonfiberglass.com/

They don't have a fancy flashy website but a quick phone call or email will reveal what they're capable of providing for E-Series or van's in general. While the cost of their tops isn't massive having them shipped to some locations might be a bit daunting.

FWIW they seem to be much better and most consistently built than brands like Fiberine. I don't have any direct experience with either, have seen more than a few dissatisfied with the Fiberine offerings.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #25

Garage
I want pics! I was about to call aluminess about a roof rack for my 24" voyager top...
postandbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by postandbeam View Post
I want pics! I was about to call aluminess about a roof rack for my 24" voyager top...
If you've got a voyager top there are two guys listed here on the first page with a aluminess roof rack. Great looking rigs!
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead-18826.html
Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #27

Ordered a 24" Bubbletop Fiberine today with plywood strips and two 12"x48" windows.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #28

I love these types of discussions! I too had a hard time deciding which to go with and while I still think the pop top is sexier, I went with one of MSD's 24" hard tops, and thus far I love it!

The thing that pushed me over the top to get a hard top was the following:
1) MSD has a very reasonably priced topper that looks great (forum member and good dude)
2) I want to "live" out of it, meaning I want to have shelves built in the topper for storage, and books, and other fun stuff. Stowed in place and easy accessible with out shuffling things about.
3) I want to park then in very short order cook, drink, party, sleep, all without messing around with a pop top.
4) Instant standing room is amazing! (Although I still bend over in the van because I have not reprogrammed myself yet.
5) I can stealth camp easily
6) Less noise and fewer moving parts to fail (rip, tear, leak, break).

Now I have never had a SMB pop top but my years of owning a Westy were awesome and are also the reason for me identifying all of the minor inconveniences I listed above.

At the end of the day, for me and my family our little rig is awesome and I could not be happier with a hard top.

OH and lastly, if you do go with a hard top, remember sourcing side windows out of old truck toppers is much cheaper than buying new! (I found a set in a topper abandoned long ago in the desert and it cost me some elbow grease and $20 in screen, butyl tape to get them ready!)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #29

Garage
^^^ do you have a build thread going? id like to see your setup.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #30

^^^^ yes! Please