Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
stiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 215
Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Changing Pop Top Gasket

I bought a new gasket last year and it is now time to replace the old one as the rivet holes have torn in a few places. For those who have taken on this project so you have any advise?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
2000 Ford RB30 PH 2WD -- Eagle Rock California
stiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,053
Garage
Subscribed - stiggs glad you asked the question...I too purchased a replacement gasket a year ago, just haven't made the time to replace it - with constructive advise you receive I'll (unfortunately) have no reason to delay any longer.
__________________

__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,976
I used a paper hole puncher to punch holes in the rubber.....and I used brass sex bolts from McMaster to install it.....They are also called "binder" bolts


It's been a while, but I think that there is only a hole punched in the outer flange of the rubber; a most robust solution would be to punch through both flanges and bolt both rubber flanges to the fiberglass.
__________________
2008 E350 RB passenger 4WD SMB penthouse
2013 KTM 350 EXC
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W
2000 KTM 200 EXC
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BenJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 277
Another tip in case this isn't obvious, start at the back in the very middle and work your way around. You will have extra gasket to trim off at the end, and you may also end up with extra of those black buttons that you push through the gasket/top.

Definitely second boywonder's input to punch through both sides for a good hold. Just work your way along, punching holes in the gasket to align with the previously used holes in the fiberglass shell and then press the black plastic buttons through said holes. Then just trim off the excess part of the button on the inside of the shell so it doesn't rub the paint off your roof.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,053
Garage
May I ask the group if its advised to stretch the gasket some to keep it from buckling over time? Or is it sufficient to pull it just slightly taut so no initial slack is visible?
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
May I ask the group if its advised to stretch the gasket some to keep it from buckling over time? Or is it sufficient to pull it just slightly taut so no initial slack is visible?
No need to stretch. If I remember right it won't stretch much anyway. Just pull it taut as you go.
__________________
Currently vanless. Weird.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
boywonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
Definitely second boywonder's input to punch through both sides for a good hold. Just work your way along, punching holes in the gasket to align with the previously used holes in the fiberglass shell and then press the black plastic buttons through said holes. Then just trim off the excess part of the button on the inside of the shell so it doesn't rub the paint off your roof.

I'm not sure punching thru both flanges will do much with the supplied plastic push fasteners... It will certainly work with sexbolts/binder bolts because there will be a fastener head on both sides.
__________________
2008 E350 RB passenger 4WD SMB penthouse
2013 KTM 350 EXC
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W
2000 KTM 200 EXC
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Orv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 276
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
May I ask the group if its advised to stretch the gasket some to keep it from buckling over time? Or is it sufficient to pull it just slightly taut so no initial slack is visible?

I don't think I'd stretch it. Mine shows signs of shrinking (pulling in at the corners) so you probably don't want to pre-tension it.
__________________
N8SRE
1990 E-250 Sportsmobile w/ penthouse top, converted in 1990 by SMB Texas.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,053
Garage
Good feedback - Thanks for the responses.
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
vandiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 512
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I used a paper hole puncher to punch holes in the rubber.....and I used brass sex bolts from McMaster to install it.....They are also called "binder" bolts


It's been a while, but I think that there is only a hole punched in the outer flange of the rubber; a most robust solution would be to punch through both flanges and bolt both rubber flanges to the fiberglass.
Do you remember which ones you used?
__________________

__________________
2001 Ford RB 7.3 Quadvan (sold)
2006 Sportsmobile EB Transformer 6.0
vandiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.