Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: More questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourneys
I just double-checked and found out it doesn't have rear air. I've had a van (minivan) without rear air before, and whew... really don't think I want a van without rear air again. The only way the back passengers were comfortable was if the front passengers were freezing. I know I sound wimpy, but after dealing with 100+ temps lately, it's probably a deal breaker for me. Still thinking about it, but...
A lot depends on your location and where you will be going, but also how much glass there is. My SMB started as a cargo van, but had more or less all the windows added in to make it like a passenger van. Even though I had the SMB installed 12V rear AC system, one year in the Phoenix area when it was 117 degrees, driving the van was misery, and unbearable for the passengers in the rear. I believe there's a huge heat-load contribution from the all the glass.

Good luck in your search.

Herb

Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourneys
I just double-checked and found out it doesn't have rear air. I've had a van (minivan) without rear air before, and whew... really don't think I want a van without rear air again. The only way the back passengers were comfortable was if the front passengers were freezing. I know I sound wimpy, but after dealing with 100+ temps lately, it's probably a deal breaker for me. Still thinking about it, but...
Because of the open layout Ive found the dash air on max ac blows enough air back at the bench to make nice and comfortable . the hottest Ive driven in was about 100 so far.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #13

There are definitely options to ad rear A/C, some of them will allow short-term use with the engine off or using shore power.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #14

Guys, would adding rear air to a 4.6L gasoline engine bog it down so much as to cause it to overheat on hills, mountains, towing or carrying a load, etc.? We've been into the 100 to 105F's in the Central Valley recently and IMO the only thing worse than poorly functioning air-conditioning is poorly functioning air-conditioning that causes the engine to overheat at long stop lights or in stop and go traffic or uphill or carrying a load.

I ordered my 7.3L diesel passenger van (windows which BroncoHauler referred to) with rear AC just for that reason. I have had vehicles (briefly) with smaller engines in the past. But my real engine knowledge and experience is limited to the 5.8L gas and the 7.3L diesel, so I am not qualified to comment -- only qualified to tee up the question.

A little reading:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59018 ... tions.html

On this one, first page only:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/95993 ... 5-4-a.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/33755 ... riton.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87886 ... 5-4-a.html
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote