Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: Advice On Replacement Tires

Thanks.....The 305's would look so much better, I really want to go that way but the rubbing is the big concern I have.
Anybody running these on a stock SMB conversion 06-07 PSD

If I upgrade the springs it might help out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #32

I took the plunge and replaced my original BFG AT s 315/70/17 D with 4 new Toyo M/Ts 295/70/17 E. Really amazed with the improved handling & very little noise. I have been running them at 65psi and actually smoother going over small bumps than the BFGs.

Right now I have my old BFG AT as a spare which is 1" diameter bigger than my Toyos - and curious whether it is OK to keep it as a spare?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #33
Site Team

Garage

1 inch? That's like only 1/2 inch in height and that wouldn't be much more than tread wear. I would think you'd be OK.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Thanks.....The 305's would look so much better, I really want to go that way but the rubbing is the big concern I have.
Anybody running these on a stock SMB conversion 06-07 PSD

If I upgrade the springs it might help out.
I have the stock SMB conversion on my 06 and am currently running 315's. Slight rub at the very farthest tilt that I am aware of. Part of the reason I am going down to 305's. I am anticipating no rub with the 305's.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
I took the plunge and replaced my original BFG AT s 315/70/17 D with 4 new Toyo M/Ts 295/70/17 E. Really amazed with the improved handling & very little noise. I have been running them at 65psi and actually smoother going over small bumps than the BFGs.

Right now I have my old BFG AT as a spare which is 1" diameter bigger than my Toyos - and curious whether it is OK to keep it as a spare?
I have heard that it can be a problem as it will create havoc on your differential. I am no expert so research it. Some people claim serious transmission problems but who knows?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #36

I had 305/70/16 Toyo m/t tires with stock SMB (OME) suspension on my 2005 PSD had no problems. Putting the Deaver springs on gave a lot more clearance. Just switched to 315/75/16 Toyo M/T's and it is close, but no rubbing (yet). I disconnected the sway bar at the tire shop and we did our best to give it a good twist. Close, but no contact anywhere. Real life 4wheeling will be the true tell.

The new 315's are sure a lot taller than the worn 305's.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #37

Did some research, and it does seem there is likelihood of differential/joint problems with running even spares with same size, yet different tread height. TireRack.com has some good information on this and gives strong advice to always rotate your spare in when rotating tires.

Looks like I will be getting a new Toyo MT - anybody need a nearly new BFG AT 315/70/17 D?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #38

Quote:

Looks like I will be getting a new Toyo MT - anybody need a nearly new BFG AT 315/70/17 D?

I will be in the same boat. I too have a nearly new, never been driven on spare 315/75/16 Nitto terra grappler that has been on my spare rack that I will be getting rid of.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Did some research, and it does seem there is likelihood of differential/joint problems with running even spares with same size, yet different tread height.
It's all diameter, but if you're just going to limp out to a tire shop and not drive across the country in 4x4 then it shouldn't matter. It is a good idea to put the mismatched tire on your open differential, if one has traction control and you have to be more judicious about not being in 4x4 when there is no tire slip available, but I think neither rotating the spare nor having an absolutely matched set are quite as paramount as TireRack says... they are after all in the business of selling you tires.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #40

Anyone who bought the MT's in whatever brand care to compare how they do in snow related to any other tire you had on before (AT vs MT or whatever). A few in this thread who bought MT's live in snowy areas and I would love to hear how they work with the snow. People give the MT's mixed reviews online for snow use. Our rigs are different than the normal truck so would like to hear from van owners.

Still debating MT vs AT and best traction. I use it a lot in snow, mud, and trails. Every weekend skiing so lots of snow use out of the three.