Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #51

Garage
I'm sure there are many out there experiencing the same issue that will now be encouraged to try your remedy.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I'm sure there are many out there experiencing the same issue that will now be encouraged to try your remedy.
Right? I read on so many forums about people having this issue and no solution that I feel obligated to go back and post about it.

I did let Brent Bussell at Eaton know that it worked for me. He said he would use this as a solution in cases like this with big ass vans that weigh a ton.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Thanks Joe! I'm going to put some miles on it today and make sure I'm solid.
I’d drive it the same number of miles as the original fluid, pull a sample of the 75/250 fluid and let Blackstone compare the contaminates in the original vs 75/250. You’ll then have a 3rd party definitive look to see if there’s a actually difference or are you masking something that will just rear it’s head later.

Slightly different in that my OEM locker worked fine but I had a rear diff in a brand new FJ Cruiser that went from fine to bad noisey whine in the first 2500 miles, long story short Toyota would do nothing, saying it was within acceptable levels. (Interestingly they replaced the driveshaft ? while they had it and no one would ever tell me why, no bulletins or recalls) I pulled samples and ran analysis on original fluid and 3 additional 20k mile fluid changes w/OEM fluid after that. Blackstone documented clearly the ppm of iron were way out of range compared to other FJs they had done as well as against their universal averages, though the ppm came down each time. I sent copies to Toyota and dealership mgr, Toyota has still done nothing and I’m sure at this point they never will, probably assuming I’ll just eventually trade it away at some point but the vehicle it replaced I put 377,000 miles on so I do tend to keep things. If nothing else it’s nice to prove your right even if you can’t make them do anything.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
I’d drive it the same number of miles as the original fluid, pull a sample of the 75/250 fluid and let Blackstone compare the contaminates in the original vs 75/250. You’ll then have a 3rd party definitive look to see if there’s a actually difference or are you masking something that will just rear it’s head later.

Slightly different in that my OEM locker worked fine but I had a rear diff in a brand new FJ Cruiser that went from fine to bad noisey whine in the first 2500 miles, long story short Toyota would do nothing, saying it was within acceptable levels. (Interestingly they replaced the driveshaft ? while they had it and no one would ever tell me why, no bulletins or recalls) I pulled samples and ran analysis on original fluid and 3 additional 20k mile fluid changes w/OEM fluid after that. Blackstone documented clearly the ppm of iron were way out of range compared to other FJs they had done as well as against their universal averages, though the ppm came down each time. I sent copies to Toyota and dealership mgr, Toyota has still done nothing and I’m sure at this point they never will, probably assuming I’ll just eventually trade it away at some point but the vehicle it replaced I put 377,000 miles on so I do tend to keep things. If nothing else it’s nice to prove your right even if you can’t make them do anything.
Solid advice. I'll pull a sample now while it's fresh and then at 500 miles.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #55

[QUOTE=vandiesel;310708 I did let Brent Bussell at Eaton know that it worked for me. He said he would use this as a solution in cases like this with big ass vans that weigh a ton.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy to hear you found a solution. I'm going to continue using the Lucas oil for my next trip to see if it calms down since I'd prefer the lighter weight oil if it starts working. Interestingly, the first TT unit didn't show any real wear or galling despite the chattering, so I look forward to what your oil samples show and I'll report back on my next trip when I return. Thanks for keeping us advised.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm happy to hear you found a solution. I'm going to continue using the Lucas oil for my next trip to see if it calms down since I'd prefer the lighter weight oil if it starts working. Interestingly, the first TT unit didn't show any real wear or galling despite the chattering, so I look forward to what your oil samples show and I'll report back on my next trip when I return. Thanks for keeping us advised.

FWIW the 75w250 redline has viscosity of 75w90.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Oh yeah, that’s another thing the oil analysis will tell you…what the actual viscosity is.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Well that’s interesting, thanks. I wonder why they rate it differently than most others?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote