Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > 4x4
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Garage
converting e-series full float axle bolt pattern, is it possible?

searched around but didnt see any threads that really addressed this. i am not a 4x4 expert by any means and the googles are where i find out most my info. generally from you gents

a little insight as to where im going with this question first as i may need rerouted from the word go. my 03 quigley is heavy, 9k before motorbikes go on the back and any real buildout inside. van currently has semi float rear axle and its made some crazy noises lately and i fear the lsd needs rebuilt at the minimum. i picked up a full float to swap out for better weight ratings and ease of axle swap when/if i ever find myself in that position. my plan was to rebuild the lsd and pull all the internals out of my semi and install in the ff replacing seals, bearings, etc along the way...

well then i discovered my left front hub unit needs replaced. according to quigley the van has a full front axle setup from a 00-04 f350. the hub unit is drilled out and lugs with a larger shank are installed to convert it to 8x165 so it matches the stocker rear axle. ive pulled it apart and confirmed what quigley told me having a 03 f350 to compare notes with.

heres where im going with this thread. is it possible to convert the 2000 e350 full floater rear axle from 8x165 to a 8x170 bolt pattern by replacing the hub assembly from a 00-04 f350? im thinking instead of having to modify the f350 front unit to 8x165 whenever they go bad it would be easier to change the rear hub to 8x170 and be done with it. it would also be a really good excuse to buy new wheels is this possible or am i barking up the wrong tree?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote