Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > 4x4
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #61

Bringing this back from history. I have an 02 Quigley with a SF Dana 60 in the back. I am interested in going to a Sterling for the rear axle. Since they are 8x170, what did you do with the front? I read through the thread and didn't see what you ended up doing with the front...unless I missed it?

Can the front still support 8x170 with Quigley's off center drilling? since they put bigger studs in, I'd imagine not? Did you go to 8x170 in the front? If so, what did you have to replace? the entire locking hub assembly and rotors? Thanks in advance!

lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #62

If the front axle has unit bearing hubs I'm guessing a new set will have the 8 on 170 stud spacing. I think that would be an easy fix. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #63
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
converting e-series full float axle bolt pattern, is it possible?

Yes, but then you’ve got to purchase yourself a set of new wheels all the way around and new front as well as rear rotors too. Boulder off Road is building me a full float. The way I understand it, to keep the spacing the same as stock, and to be able to use existing wheels and swap the brakes over, they use Dana 60 E series axles and put in all new internals with 35 spline shafts, which are not stock or available on the vans, so they have to cut them down to fit the narrower Econoline axles. Spacers are still needed to match the front width, but that’s less of a concern on a FF.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Yes, but then you’ve got to purchase yourself a set of new wheels all the way around and new front as well as rear rotors too. Boulder off Road is building me a full float. The way I understand it, to keep the spacing the same as stock, and to be able to use existing wheels and swap the brakes over, they use Dana 60 E series axles and put in all new internals with 35 spline shafts, which are not stock or available on the vans, so they have to cut them down to fit the narrower Econoline axles. Spacers are still needed to match the front width, but that’s less of a concern on a FF.

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Thanks for the info. I am planning to get a new set of wheels and tires, that's in my budget, since its got stock wheels and 245/75r16 tires.

I'm deciding which wheels to get based on if I am able to go to a Sterling. I am not opposed to a brake upgrade either, since we are adding so much more weight to the van, but calipers, rotors and pads, might set me back at another $500-$600 in parts (non oem, based on amazon). plus $250 for hub
Old 01-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #65

Garage
Mine is a 03 Quigley. So it was 8x165 as well. Just bought 2 new timkin front unit bearings and threw the Quigley ones away. You need to match up with whatever front axle you have. Odds are good being an 02 that it has same front end as I did. If you haven’t called Quigley and requested a build sheet, you should. It’s free and they are pretty quick at getting them to you. Then you’ll know exactly what you need to order.

All you need new is the bearing units. All the rest of the parts you mentioned are interchangeable. Keep in mind 16” wheels wont fit over brakes on the sterling axle. I jumped to 17’s.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
This is pretty much what I did but I sourced 35 spline axles from Dutchman cut to length for $350. I re-used the same spacers that were on my SF and also did new bearings and internals in the diff. I think I ended up spending $2k before it was all said and done.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
...keep in mind 16” wheels wont fit over brakes on the sterling axle....
Hmmmmm.... I'm glad I saw this. That's a pretty major consideration for me, I'm pretty invested in 16's. Both my van and my Suzuki Samurai share 16" 285-75 BFG All-Terrain tire sizes. I've also got a "street tire set" set for the van, with spares for both sets.

I'm thinking about a full floater rear axle swap as well. The drum rear brakes on my Dana 60 have been nothing but trouble, the horse shoe nails (that hold the shoe tight against the backing plate) came come apart twice now. Grooves the drum, makes a mess. I'm about to throw the baby out with the bathwater and switch to discs and a full floater rear end.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Mine is a 03 Quigley. So it was 8x165 as well. Just bought 2 new timkin front unit bearings and threw the Quigley ones away. You need to match up with whatever front axle you have. Odds are good being an 02 that it has same front end as I did. If you haven’t called Quigley and requested a build sheet, you should. It’s free and they are pretty quick at getting them to you. Then you’ll know exactly what you need to order.

All you need new is the bearing units. All the rest of the parts you mentioned are interchangeable. Keep in mind 16” wheels wont fit over brakes on the sterling axle. I jumped to 17’s.
Awesome thanks! I got the build sheet from Quigley. They certainly charge a premium on both their parts and shipping, hopefully not too many quigley parts need to be replaced.

I wasn't sure which part is the unit bearing. Is it the spindle and axle bearing assembly? Sorry for by ignorance. I googled and people said it was basically a live spindle. I took a screen shot of the assembly is it 9, 10, and 11 basically in this axle diagram? The spindle has a part number of Dana 660036.

so the rotors and all the other brake parts are interchangeable between 8x6.5 and 8x170? I guess it's off only by 5mm?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
unit bearing.jpg  
Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Hmmmmm.... I'm glad I saw this. That's a pretty major consideration for me, I'm pretty invested in 16's. Both my van and my Suzuki Samurai share 16" 285-75 BFG All-Terrain tire sizes. I've also got a "street tire set" set for the van, with spares for both sets.

I'm thinking about a full floater rear axle swap as well. The drum rear brakes on my Dana 60 have been nothing but trouble, the horse shoe nails (that hold the shoe tight against the backing plate) came come apart twice now. Grooves the drum, makes a mess. I'm about to throw the baby out with the bathwater and switch to discs and a full floater rear end.
If you are already invested in 16", might make more sense to find a FF Dana 60 for a straight swap or a rare Dana 70, not familiar with those, but there are some SRW Dana 70s out there, not sure what years work though
Old 01-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #70

Garage
That’s what started my whole ordeal. Found a bad drivers side bearing and discovered what Quigley charged for their units. Wasn’t willing to pay for the custom Quigley stuff and wanted to be able to buy off the shelf parts no matter where I ended up. So I replaced pads, turned the rotors, and bearing units and it was a bolt up process with zero mods. added the sterling axle in back at the same time and was forced to go to 17’s. Didn’t want that, but it allows me to upgrade front brakes now too down the road. I used timken unit pn- sp580205. They aren’t side specific. What front axle do you have?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote