Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Dynatrac Puking - Revisited.

My new SMB (just at 1000 miles) was puking through the rear breather tube. I checked the oil level on a dead-flat concrete pad, and it was just at the bottom of the threads. I changed the breather hose, rigged it higher and towards the rear of the frame, even installed a K&N breather filter - but still the same problem. I did read in a thread here in September that the oil level should be just below (at least on the newer Dynatrac SMB rear).

Well, I called SMB Fresno, and their tech called Dynatrac, and here is what I was told: The threaded breather tube fitting, which screws into the axle case, comes with threads that extend too far into the case. Apparently, this allows the oil to enter the breather tube much easier. Normally, these are cut down and re-installed, but they could not verify if this was performed during my SMB build. He said I need to cut down the threaded fitting so that only 3/8 inch of the fitting extends inside the case (it comes with about 3/4 inch extension into the case - so basically, cut the threaded portion of the breather bolt in half).

Has anyone done this, or identified/heard this solution before? I'd rather hear from other Dynatrac SMB owners, before unscrewing the breather fitting, breaking out the hacksaw, and...!

Many thanks in advance!

pd

parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

Re: Dynatrac Puking - Revisited.

First I've heard about the breather threads being too long. Kind of hard to believe that would cause it as the fluid is way below the top of the axle tube. It still has to push the 90wt all the way up the hose and out the top. Something to look into though. Be interesting to see if anyone else has heard of that.
But, I can tell you for a fact that the oil level needs to be at least 1/2" below the threads on the fill plug. More like an inch on mine. This is discussed elsewhere on the Forum. The diff cover that Dynatrac made up looks really cool, but the fill plug is around an inch higher then on the Ford cover. According to Dynatrac you still use the same amount of fluid as called for by Ford. Therefore, the only way to tell where to fill it to is to drain the rear end and fill it with the correct amount of oil. Then check to see how far below the threads the fluid is and to remember that for future checking. Could always put a Ford cover back on....
Take a look at a Ford E350 rear end and measure the fill plug location relative to one of the cover bolts and check the same on the Dyantrac cover. That'll give you a good idea on where the fluid level should be. Major dumb on Dynatracs part.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm sure cutting the threads back won't hurt anything, but it doesn't make sense to me either.

Regarding the difference between the Ford vs Dynatrac plug height, if one were to just drive with the overfill, it would follow that eventually the level will be where it should be - cut down breather threads or not. Of course, there will be a trail of 90wt along the road until that happens (and surely in the driveway)!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisdakar
if one were to just drive with the overfill, it would follow that eventually the level will be where it should be - cut down breather threads or not. Of course, there will be a trail of 90wt along the road until that happens (and surely in the driveway)!
Yeah, that'd do it. Just keep your pressure washer handy.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I don't know if this is BS, but I did follow a breakin procedure:
http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm
I also did a fluid swap early on somewhere between 1 and 2K mi....probably overkill.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #6

I forgot to mention above, from what I've seen, the bottom of the Ford fill plug lines up pretty close with the bottom of the axle tubes. That's quite a bit below the Dynatrac plug. I pumped out a bunch of my fluid and put a baggie over the breather outlet and caught what it puked out till it stopped. Ended up pretty much at the bottom of the axle tubes and that's where I'm leaving it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #7

I should be able to establish some visual oil level reference (as opposed to oil quantity, which we now know is incorrect), when the drain plug is removed and the van is on a dead flat surface. I'm not at that point yet, but the amount of oil coming out of the breather is much less now than 500 miles ago. I did not cut down the breather bolt yet, and I did not drain oil yet. I'm still letting it 'do its thing' and puke out. This quasi-research may only last another 500 miles, as its obviously not such a clean operation in the driveway (I did put a drip pan out) or on the road - and overall, its not very sano. I did reroute the breather hose pretty far back, attached a K&N breather filter on the end, and then attached that to the van frame in a spot that can be easily wiped and checked for more overflow! We'll see...