Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

Ford ABS Hydraulic control unit.

Nearly ran into the back of a small SUV a few days ago. The brakes just went mushy attempting to do a very sudden stop. It was a bit scary. The ABS light went on on the dash. Seems it is a bad ABS hydraulic control unit that's at fault. (Incidentally it also turns out that my '95 Quigley has 4 wheel ABS rather than 2 wheel ABS which was news to me.) But what was more shocking was the price of a rebuilt ABS HCU through Ford: $1170! This does not include the ABS HCU circuit board which is apparently NLA.

The 2 wheel ABS HCU's are pretty commonly available for around $150, not so with the 4 wheel HCU. Finally tracked one down for $700 rebuilt at RockAuto.com but the real issue here is that if the computer circuit board controlling the valve goes the option is to find one in a junkyard or just disable the ABS completely.

Has anyone else on the list had the issue and been able to find a more reasonable solution? I s'pose not having ABS is not the end of the world but it would be preferable to keep it going if at all possible.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

Re: Ford ABS Hydraulic control unit.

I have the HCU go out on my '94 E350, which also had 4-wheel ABS. Because of the cost, I decided to pull the ABS fuse and just go without, and I put black tape of the ABS light (which stays on when the fuse is pulled). Cars made it 90 years without ABS. Just need need to go back to pulsing the brakes in slippery weather.