Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Not another tire thread!!!!

Well, been doing research on which tires to get, once I get my new ride, and from what I've found, just wanting to get ppls opinions.

The van, after the Quigley upgrade, will be coming with 245/70R17. The van has the 4.10 gearing and 5.4L engine. I'm thinking about getting the 305/65R17 or either the 285/75R16 (well the equivlant in the the 17" rims, not sure what size that would be in 17"s)

I know the small tires will give me more towing power, however, I'm not planning on pulling much, and when I do, it won't be heavy. So I'm looking at more for better mileage.

with the two tires sizes mentioned, I know they are fairly close in diameters,, however, think there would be much of a noticable different in towing performance or mileage between them?

blkhalo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Not another tire thread!!!!

The difference in fuel economy is negligible based on my experience. I just did a road trip with a buddy in our Jeeps. Both Jeeps are LJ Rubicon models. Mine has slightly more lift, 4.88 gears, and 35" tires. His has the stock 4.10's with 33" tires.

Each time we stopped for fuel, I did have to put more in. However, we are talking tenths of a gallon when filling both up from low fuel lights.

My take? Yes bigger tires will cost on MPGs. But, if you are staying in the 33" to 35" realm that the majority of us are in, you are not likely to notice.

The extra wind resistance from the lift and weight are going to dwarf the difference an inch or so of tire will make.

So, I say focus on thing like "E" rated. Type of traction you think you will need. Tread life. Tire rub. Etc...

Your MPG issue was decided the day you committed to the 4x4 conversion. Way too late to try to fix that with tires...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Re: Not another tire thread!!!!

You may want to double check with Quigley first. If your van develops any driveablilty problems due to installing larger tires on than Quigley approves, you may not get any support from them.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhalo996
285/75R16 (well the equivlant in the the 17" rims, not sure what size that would be in 17"s)
285/70/17
Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Yeah, pretty much figured gas mileage would be low.

I've never have owned a vehicle and change the tire sizes much front stock. Just wanted to see how much an inch or so would make. Pretty much take it as not much, and at that size of a tire change, not even bother.

Thanks for the input guys!!!!
blkhalo996 is offline   Reply With Quote