Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Garage
On Board Air

Hoping to get some ideas on air. I saw a rig at quadvan that had a rear bumper that doubled as a air tank. It was really cool and held a lot of air. Thought I would explore that a bit and then I stumbled on a quigley van on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 500wt_1182 that has SK nerf bars that double as air tanks. It seems like a cool way to save space and deliver air when needed. Anyone used anything like these besides the simple frame mounted tank?
Lastly i am looking for recommendations on compressors and anyone who has "successfully" used harbor freight level units. I saw some advice saying to stay away from viaair so though I would get a sound off.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: On Board Air

Those bumper type tanks probably have a place on an SMB but it's more of a special type item. I just got the extreme air and a typical tank. Works OK for me but a little slow. Power tanks might be a better value. You got to remember that SMB run 70-80 lbs pounds in the tires. I'm not in a race.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #3

I also have an Extreme Air with a small tank. However, I have a two-way valve and take the air tank out of the system when airing up. When airing up with the tank in the system, you only get a few minutes of air before the compressor comes on and stays on anyway...the tank doesn't have enough capacity to do much good so I felt you might as well air up the tires and not the tank. If you were thinking of eliminating the compressor and just using an on-board tank, it would need to be at a very high pressure in order to supply enough air for all of the tires...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

I run the Warn VTC with a 2.5 gallon tank, does everything I need it to.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

I've seen the bumper air tanks on trucks, (friend has one), they are very cool idea, work amazingly well. Never seen one on a van though, also I don't think you'll get much air in nurf bars though.

I've read very good things about the Puma 12v air compressor, comes with tank and everything you need for a very good price, then you just separate compressor from tank for install.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor ... essor.html

I did read some comparison tests somewhere, and it was better (fill quicker / better recovery time) than the Viaair and Extreme air, but I have no personal experience with them.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote