Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #11

Re: Reviews on "newer" suspension upgrades fr Sportsmobile W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsundog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Just drop by the shop - I'll be there this afternoon (Friday), all day Saturday and Monday. Glen is there six of seven days a week also.

I would if i was local but i'm here in up north in the Bay Area.
My comments maybe are confusing the thread posters. I'm in San Diego and not the original poster. I do have several things to add though. I've had an email with Peter at SMB West and he says that my original 2004 rear springs are also Betts and not just the OEM springs on blocks which is what I had always thought they were. The current Bett springs, both front and back, are redesigned and do offer improvements. The current rear spring design also employs a lift block. And finally the complete front and rear spring "package" (no shocks) is about $1900 before shipping and taxes. Like so many sugarplums... I'll be addressing this myself in January with a minimum of the new shocks and a front spring rebuild. Currently I'm on the fence about replacing the springs. Again good luck to ucsundog in whatever you decide.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsundog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Just drop by the shop - I'll be there this afternoon (Friday), all day Saturday and Monday. Glen is there six of seven days a week also.

I would if i was local but i'm here in up north in the Bay Area.
My comments maybe are confusing the thread posters. I'm in San Diego and not the original poster. I do have several things to add though. I've had an email with Peter at SMB West and he says that my original 2004 rear springs are also Betts and not just the OEM springs on blocks which is what I had always thought they were. The current Bett springs, both front and back, are redesigned and do offer improvements. The current rear spring design also employs a lift block. And finally the complete front and rear spring "package" (no shocks) is about $1900 before shipping and taxes. Like so many sugarplums... I'll be addressing this myself in January with a minimum of the new shocks and a front spring rebuild. Currently I'm on the fence about replacing the springs. Again good luck to ucsundog in whatever you decide.
So, in 2005 they went to Old Man Emu for both springs and shocks? My impression that was only for the front and the rear was the stock OEM springs on blocks. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I believe Peter (great guy by the way and very helpful) is wrong on this. I don't think he was with SMB then either.

As I understand it the original conversions was an OME Dakar springpack in the front with Rancho9000s. SMB modified the stock Ford spring pack in the rear by adding 2 extra leaves with taller lift blocks to achieve a 6" lift. In 2005 they were able to source custom-valved OME shocks for their conversion. They changed the shock/spring setup again in 2008. Not sure if that also included the rear springs but the shocks were re-valved. In 2012 they went with a Rancho Air Adjustable shock option with wireless remote and then changed the spring pack to Betts (apparently front and rear). Currently, it's Betts and Fox shocks.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #13

OK - so I actually have looked at them now. I would think the double military wrap on my rear springs would indicate a complete replacement back then and not just a reworked OEM pack. Fred Whorff was the Tech guy at SMB responsible for the overall SMB 4x4 design. He would be the ultimate answer man for this. Some of you might remember him. My 2004 did come with Rancho 9000 shocks. But this is just history. Really the questions is can the new leaf spring design provide a noticeable improvement in ride quality. I would guess that 90% of my problem is tired shocks and worn bushings. Ucsundog had the additional problem of sagging (reduced travel to bump stop) in the front. Unfortunately he is blazing this trail and no one can really definitively answer his question!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote