Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #21

Re: Winches

My van handles much better without the heavy 15000 winch. I have a 10000 lbs winch. I plan on using a snatch block if I have too. Synthetic rope is the way to go.
Warn, warned me to mount the 15000 lbs winch Feet first, He said, if I do not, I could pull the drum right out... to mount it feet first you need to get a mounting plate. All too heavy for me...

Jeff

Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #22

Warn uses a braking system that is inside of the drum. This creates heat and could melt synthetic line. Go price Warns non melting synthetic line. Yikes!

I went to an aluminium fairlead and synthetic line and shed 25lbs of the front of a Jeep. That was on a 9.5k winch. A bigger winch will loose more. Synthetic is well worth the money even if you have to buy a smaller or cheaper winch to get it. It's fun to use and wire is a hazard. It's heavy, cuts your hands up and will cut your kid in half when it breaks. If I see a heavy van getting winched with wire I'll be 100 yards away. I too have seen that stuff break. It aint preety.

I personally think Superwinch is the best bang for the buck in winches and they have the break on the side of the drum so it can safely run synthetic. Get you synthetic from line this guy:
http://www.rockstomper.com/
He will make up exacly what you need and if you ever melt it in half with an exhaust pipe,want a new hook on it or just need a cut fixed he does it free or dirt cheap. I'm sure he has heat safe line for warn winches also. Ask for Scott.

Stump
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

The first couple of wraps of my synthetic line are heat resistant. Also the line has a sliding sleeve on the outside about 6 feet long to help alleviate abrasion if the line must pass over an object while winching in.
www.winchline.com (with whom I have no affiliation), is a very informative website and the owner is a really nice and helpful guy.
Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #24

Anyone know where to get a black anodized aluminum hawse fairlead that covers the hole in the aluminess bumper? The ones I've found leave gaps above and below the bolts.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

See website in above post.
Bill
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #26

Incidentially it takes about an hour for two guys to unwind a 100' winch cable from the drum if the winch is loose, but the freewheel selector is frozen, and the spool won't turn.

Anyone know of good Warn rebuilding resources?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
Site Team

Garage

I missed the second page so I’ll repost.

I have the M-12? on the older 06 aluminess bumper.
I use my winch around home more (dragging brush stuff like that) than out on the trail but have needed it a few times to get out of a jam Usually it’s needed to get somebody else out. SMB mounted mine and although I’ve heard it might be mounted incorrectly, so far no problems. Cost per use depends on each person’s situation. I carry a pull pal and that in its self is a fairly big expense. I also run rope now as the wire rope eats up the fairlead roller fast. I will keep the roller type fairlead over a hawse because I’m not running a thin synthetic rope. Maybe I’m wrong but I have never got it pinched. There is little friction with the roller fairlead but nevertheless I’m obsessed with keeping the rope clean as possible. I don’t relish replacement of Super pull line every 6 or so years but I have see wire rope break and it’s not pretty. Also I don’t really know if synthetic need to be replaced if it’s stressed out on a heavy pull so I carry the wire rope as a spare in the back. This also serves as more length if needed. On the heat (drum) issue I was told that the super pull is supposed to be OK with this. I do worry about sunlight and keep it out of direct light. I did make a mistake when ordering; I should have gotten the hook that can be removed. All I have is a turks head knot that can’t be removed. As long as you don’t put too much on wire rope it should be OK. Super Pull rope is expensive. $500.00 +

Never heard about the warrantee issue. Interesting.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #28
Site Team

Maybe this belongs in the Classified, but since it directly relates to this post, I'll include it here.

A Bronco guy I know (Dusty) is one of the owners of West Coast Broncos. He's currently offering a deal on Viking synthetic winchlines, but is does have restrictions and limitations, including a limitation to SoCal shipping addresses. No idea why. Below is his original e-mail to SoCal Broncos (SCB) and my question to him and his response.

Herb
----------------------------
Dusty,

Any problem if I cross-post to my Sportsmobile forum friends?

Herb

"Herb, as long as they are shipped to a So Cal address and they only choose from the color and fairlead options in the post, go right ahead. Like I said its basically a zero-profit offer for me to help out my SCB buds so I don’t want to get into it being a hassle to field a bunch of special requests for different lengths and thicknesses, and looking up shipping costs to other areas. So if they can simply just choose a color and whether or not they want the fairlead, then provide a So Cal shipping address then yes I would be happy to include them in the offer. But I don’t know how to state all of that without coming across as some sort of an a-hole LOL

Dusty

ORIGINAL POST to SoCalBroncos

OK here's the offer. This is not a "mass buy" so there is no minimum but it
is significantly under regular price so I'll offer it up until Feb 20 (two
weeks from today) then its gone. This offer is good for any of my So Cal
buds whether you bought one of the Tuff Stuff winches or not.

3/8" X 90' Viking Synthetic Winchline in either Blue, Black (which is more
of a dark charcoal than absolute black) or Orange.
Includes 10' line protector, tube safety thimble and heavy duty yellow excel
hook. Normal retail price for this package is $265. Buy it during this
offer for $225.

If you need a fairlead to go with it, I can include Viking's very nice black
anodized aluminum fairlead for $35 (normal retail price is $45). This offer
is only good with purchase of a winchline, not available separately except
at regular price.

These can only be shipped (no will call or trying to "find it a ride") but
flat rate shipping to anywhere in So Cal will be $12 with or without the
fairlead. Sales tax is applicable.

I'm offering this as a solid to my buds here on So Cal, there is barely any
markup in this (really its barely enough to cover the credit card fees) so
take advantage if you want a rope.

To order give me a call with your credit card info. (760) 369-4126. Leave
a message if we can't get to the phone in time. Sorry I can't offer any
other variations for this offer, it includes just what is offered above. If
you want a different length or some other type of hook or thimble I'll have
to get you the retail price for it. If you want to read more about Viking
winch lines or see some photos go to http://www.winchline.com/

Thanks guys,

Dusty
West Coast Broncos
Old 02-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I must be thinking of another manufacturer which has "feet" in both positions, it's been awhile since I was comparing 15K winches.

I think the issue was partially the 70-lb L plate and partially that the ~85lb Aluminess bumper was itself too heavy for Jeff's tastes.
I think almost all winches can be mouted feet first. The control box is made so it can be moved and the cable comes out of the bottom which is now the front. I run a 9k superwinch on a 5,000 pound jeep. It will pull it straight up a cliff and I'm sure would bend the Jeep before it stalled. I'd put this one on the aluminum bumper feet first. http://www.superwinch.com/EPi9_0S_9_000_lbs.html
It's one of the few that come with synthetic. When I bought mine it came with a snatch block but I don't know if they still do that. Look at the ARB snatch block if you need one.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx? ... rtID=40364
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #30

I'm running the Warn 16.5ti in a custom bumper. I also have the Viking winch line, love it. I think I saved 40-50lbs. My bumper & winch, with the Syn line, weigh in at 160lbs. The winch has saved me a few times. The worst was on Hunter Mtn in DV last year. By myself, stuck in the snow. Good times!!

Also.... my factory Warn cable was new, and I sold it for $250. That took care of the Syn line....
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote