Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #1

Aluminess ladder - Econoline Rain Gutter Clamp Photos

Any chance anybody on this forum has some detailed photos of the rain gutter clamps on the Ford Econoline Aluminess ladders?

Aluminess instructions don't show detailed photos/diagrams, and detailed photos are surprisingly difficult to find online.

For context, I'm looking for inspiration on how to design my own rain gutter clamps when I build my own custom ladder. Yes, I know it will end up costing more and taking way longer than just buying a pre-made one. No, you won't convince me that this is a bad idea.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

Garage
I just happen to have a set I pulled out a couple days ago (for a Project I'm deciding whether or not to continue with):

Old 07-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #3

Amazing, thank you! So do the two screws w/o nuts just dig into the sealant in the rain gutter?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #4

Garage
That's what it looks like - not sure if Sportsmobile did anything 'extra' prior to screwing them down - I inspect my roof about 2x yearly for any signs of rust developing, and always look closely at the gutter around the two brackets (because of the screws) and no issue.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #5

Hey Twoxentrix -

Great timing for me too ! Any chance for a photo of the attachment point at the rain gutter ? What size drill bit and bolts to use ? So you're saying that the 2 top screws go/attach without ny-lock ? Just gravity holding ladder top ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #6

Garage
Just went out to take a look - the two screws that hold the bracket to the rain gutter have nothing showing on the top, and I'm unable to see anything when i attempt to look underneath - so I would assume there is nothing holding them with any friction (unless they used something which would help bond the threads at the point they go through the aluminum brace).
It does look like a thin piece of rubber is sandwiched between the bracket and the side of the van to keep that contact point from gouging through the paint.
No drilling required Russ, just place the bracket over the drip rail and tighten down the screws.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #7

Here are my home made clamps, they are super sturdy. They are simply a piece of angle iron with a spacer (a nut) between the angle and a piece of flat bar. The rust is due to my grinding some additional clearance while on a trip and failing to paint immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
32563596-8D1C-4CD2-A959-56E739FF1ED6.jpg   F06CED0E-4962-477E-8023-3C7A2B407FE7.jpg   29CB1FD5-2F23-4537-AA11-311B65BCA7C1.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote