Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

Fiberine Hard Top Ford van question SF BAY Area

2001 Ford E350 Extended van here.......talked with Fiberine in Long Beach area and need help in determining which high top is best for my 6' height. By chance is there anyone in the Bay Area up to Sacramento or beyone..... that has this brand of topper? I'm trying to determine if the 20" is better (for me) than the 24". Please get in touch if you'd like to share your experiences with these different heights and/or live local to me (Napa area) in which case I'd really like to stand up in your rig and see how it "fits". Thanks! Steve

bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

24 inch Fiberine fixed top EB

I purchased the 24 inch Fiberine fixed top shell only on my 2006 EB.
I am 5'11" tall.
The center section is slightly higher giving plenty of headroom for a 6 ft. person.

But.... Once you start building, this changes fast.

My flooring is 5/8 inch thick
My headliner is approx 1/2" total thickness.
Insulation material takes another inch.
If you have shoes on you loose another 3/4" of clearance.

I can stand totally erect only in the center of the cabin. At either end I have to hunch down a little.

In my opinion, the 24 inch high top would be the minimum.

I decided on the Fiberine 24 inch top because on the more aerodynamic appeal it has. If I was full timing in the van, I would have done a top with more height and more vertical sides like the Transit top design.

Check my photo album here on the forum.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lbums1125.html
46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Thank you...……..that really helps!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #4

I am doing a simpler setup and have the 20" top. I am also 6 foot, i can stand in the center of the van with shoes on and my hair brushes the top.

My floor is factory pad and nothing on the top yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200131_114404_742.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	31725
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

Tough call but I'm going to get the 24" as I'll be driving through South America in a few years and expect to be living in the van for a year...…I don't want to be hitting my head or having to duck in the corners/ends. Steve
Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #6

You might consider taller if they make one. My Dodge has a +30" roof with an inner skin attached to the bottom of the metal framework and 1/2" ply on the floor but I will be removing the old floor and going with slightly thicker, then flooring on top of that. I'm 5'10" and you can see the inside clearance. I'm probably wearing my usual hiking boots in this pic.

If you're buying a highroof for clearance and will be living in the van for a year you should consider all the options.

Looks like @Van22 might have one of the Fiberine Super Camper tops on an E350 if you check his profile photo. He might chime in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Debbie5.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	31732
Old 02-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

I've got a 24" bubble top with the plywood reinforcement in the roof for putting a rack on top(read that as thicker roof). I' live in Tahoe, if you are up here I'd be happy to let you check it out.. The 20 " aero top is not going to let you stand up straight if you are 6'.. I'm 6'1" and although still have not added floor or roof insulation, I can stand up straight with a few inches of clearance.
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #8

Hey thanks for the offer but I did already commit to the 24" topper after talking with a few other people. Should fit perfect for my height. I get up to Tahoe in the summer so I'll look you up! Thanks for reaching out. Steve (Napa)
Old 02-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #9

Thank you! I appreciate all the help. Steve