Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #21

The purpose of the forum is not to support SMB the company, but the SMB owners and fans. That said the purpose is evolving, and not meant to be restrictive but serve the need of the community (by which I mean myself ).

Still the board has absolutely no relationship to or with SMB the company, and expecting that anything posted here will be read by them is questionable, and reacted to far fetched.

As far as quality... well Marty, maybe back in the day they were making them a little more durable.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #22

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Jage,
I'm sure I'd be more critical if I dropped $60k+ for a new SMB...

Since I paid a lot less, the bugs were worked out and I'm very happy...except for that smell! I'm going to make a new post for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The purpose of the forum is not to support SMB the company, but the SMB owners and fans. That said the purpose is evolving, and not meant to be restrictive but serve the need of the community (by which I mean myself ).

Still the board has absolutely no relationship to or with SMB the company, and expecting that anything posted here will be read by them is questionable, and reacted to far fetched.

As far as quality... well Marty, maybe back in the day they were making them a little more durable.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #23

I feel your pain and disappointment in the support for what constitutes a significant investment. We 4x4 van owners take a huge leap of faith when we buy these vans, that they will be warrantied and supported. In fact all the vendors involved tout how good they are at these things to get us to buy their version. Oh ya, fix it at any Ford dealer! Ya right! It's all Ford parts! Ya right!

Fritts Ford in Riverside, where I bought my Quigley van, wouldn't even change the front differential fluids. They said, "We didn't put that suspension on there." What?! "I bought it here!" I said. The service tech was completley unaware of the process. Ford is so afraid to do anything. Look, if it needs to be done and it's not covered by warranty I'll pay for it! Just do your job! They guy asked me if I wanted my brakes inspected. Yes! Why wouldn't you inspect the brakes? I was shocked. I was up-sold like I was at Jiffy Lube.

But they will service your Chevy truck from stem to stern.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #24

What timing! Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the body shop that SMBw insisted was very professional seems to have continued my horrible nightmare!!

I've been waiting patiently for the paint on that side of the van to cure fully (can be 8 months) to put my wrap on. About the past two months I've noticed around the rear window on that side, that the paint is simply peeling away and flaking off around the window. I'm under the impression that the window wasn't removed when they re-shot the side of the van and instead they just taped around it. Nice job. I told Alan the main reason I didn't want his shop doing the repair was because I didn't have faith that they would do as good a job as what I wanted. In fact, all I didn't want anyone to mess with the paint at ALL, I just wanted to be reimbursed to cover the non- perfect van body that was delivered to me new!

Additionally, our AC cut out AGAIN this weekend. This is the 4th time we've apparently lost all refrigerant, and my van has just had it's FIRST BIRTHDAY. I have had to go to Fresno, take a day off of work each time, spend my own money on fuel, and hassle with the drive 6 times now in one year.

That's a full week of missed work, over $1300 in fuel, considerable affect to my blood pressure, and damage to my faith in that SMB is anything close to a responsible, caring company.

To add the cherry on top of everything, recently I started having electrical gremlins.
First a 12v outlet kept blowing fuses.
Then I started going through fuses like were vitamins.
Then my CB died mysteriously.
The XM radio stopped working unless it's a cloudless day and required a replacement antenna.
Then the backup camera dies.
Then the THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR SATTELLITE DISH BLOWS OUT,

and now we're getting horrible shocks from the van. A closer look indicates some sort of rolling grounding issue between the xantrex inverter and the 12v lines of the van. All of the electrical component failures, on closer investigation, have blown capacitors on the controller boards, indicative of bad power.

(it's so freaking ironic that all of this stuff, I had to have special ordered, and since they had to be ordered before the van was finished, their 1 year warranty from the manufacturer's all expired mere months before things started blowing up.)

So. That's why I've been quiet lately. If I didn't love the potential of this vehicle (I do have 16k miles on it in this one year) I would have sold it long ago. Maybe if I thought I could even break even I would sell it and get on with building a van myself. Which I should have done. I would have been about a billion times better off paying some freaking meth-hed cheap-ass cabinet maker to build a freaking conversion than the rolling nightmare I've ended up with. At least then I wouldn't be surprised by the quality I got!

Sigh.

Ok, I didn't mean to get on a roll here, but I've been biting my tongue for far too long. I think it's no secret that there are a lot of SMB customers who feel that we've been treated poorly for the amount of money invested (thrown away) to our vehicle.

Having just come back from another camping trip where I finally compared notes with another user here, I did send an email to Peter and Alan with corresponding voice mails letting them know about the AC and paint. As for the electronics, I know the problem is beyond their capability and I'll just have to figure it all out myself.

Paint:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #25

WTF!
Looks like a small claims court bonanza!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #26

That paint would make me flip Buji. Wow. I hope that is fixed to your satisfaction. Boat and motorhome electrical systems can be tricky and full of gremlins. When in doubt, ground it.

I got two calls from Fritts Ford today. One from the salesman Hank who sold me my van. He's great. He did all he could to sort out my troubles in the service dept.

Then the Service Manager called and was determined to make it all right. I'm hopeful. I go in Wed.

My interior is self designed. I had a 98 van prior so I had a lot of stuff and simply transferred it to this one. I have a propane stove, 110 volt inverter, GPS, CB radio, camping equipment, etc, but all portable and not permanently wired in, except the inverter. I think my van weighs under 7000 pounds.

When I think about how violently the van can shake at times for hours on rough roads it's no wonder systems fail.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
...with the drive 6 times now in one year.

That's a full week of missed work, over $1300 in fuel...
You're lucky bro, a week and $1300 was one trip for me. And lets not forget mileage against warranty, for what that's worth.

By the third round I just decided to fix it myself in the driveway.

Unfortunately I'm still plagued by my batteries, my dual 4D 400 amp hour system doesn't last for 3 days even without the toaster or any electronics. The panel they installed reads the wrong voltage (low) and I wound up having to run my van 1-2 hours every day for the last 7 days- and that is only lights, fridge, and propane heater set low (60º in 30º weather).

I really need to pull everything and understand the problems, the constant fault warnings, the low voltage, etc. and of course move the battery since there is plenty of room under the van (it makes me wonder why they chose to cut the wall out and ruin my storage, although at the time I approved- my fault for not insisting).

On top of moving those monster batteries and taking apart the wiring, the wall, welding a new tray- there is the suspicion that the original 4D is actually bad after all and they never really did test it when installing the second.

The driveway isn't so appealing for this fix so I might keep putting it off. But yeah it gets old constantly having problems with such expensive vehicles.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #28

Jage,
I think your batteries might be fine. Three days sounds about right for the load you describe.

But don't listen to me. The best way to check their capacity is to do a 20 hour test. It is abusive to run the batteries all the way flat, so I would just check them to mid capacity: turn off everything, charge the batteries completely, unplug the charger, wait a few hours for the voltage to settle down, check the voltage (it should be 12.6 or 12.7), turn on 10 amps of lights, come back in 20 hours, and measure the voltage again. If the voltage is around 12.06 (or, anywhere above 12.0), and not 10 or the low 11's, then both of your batteries are good. 10's and low 11's mean the batteries are much more flat than they should be for a 400 amp hour bank after 200 amps of discharge, and would indicate that one or both of the batteries has a serious problem.

My Sportsmobile is being built right now, so I do not know what kind of light bulbs they install, but maybe someone here with an amp hour meter on their panel could tell you what combination of lights (or fan) adds up to ten amps. Or just add up the wattage of the bulbs and divide by 12 to get the amps. So, for example, five 25 watt lights would be 10 amps.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #29

Batteries

Faced exactly same problem, finally followed wiring, pulled out some unnecessary stuff and installed LinkPro battery meter. Best investment you can make for peace of mind when you are 50 miles out and worried. DVM is another very useful accessory, but the LinkPro is basically a continual fuel gauge for your batteries. I purchased mine from Jack Rabbit Marine - good price/service.
SMBReno is offline   Reply With Quote