Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

Sealing high top E350

So I bought a '08 E350 in mid '21, low miles and left outdoors. The fiberglass top was neglected and the a/c mounted on top was out of freon. There were some nasty looking fisheyes and the clear coat was missing in some areas. Rather than spend a wad on doing r & r on the top I thought I'd try Henry's 100% silicone roof coating, being silicone is the wonder drug of the '20s. I've used it on a tabbed shingle roof and siding where it worked real well, they have white, tan, and gray in color available.

For the topper, I used white, used 2 coats at about 1 1/2 total gallons. To knock the loose clear coat off compressed air worked real well. I removed the a/c and installed a vent with fan which fit well.

For some reason the paint didn't go on real smooth, the siding on the house worked out wonderful but for some reason it didn't flow onto the fiberglass real well and it wanted to run so thin coats would be recommended with a good roller, the ones that don't shed. The black plastic trim that goes around the bottom of the topper was brittle so it was removed and everything was siliconed all the way down into the rain gutters.

For the money and my time it worked out well. Pretty sure it will stay waterproof for a long time and the coating is reflective.

Just another option for those fiberglass roofs.

Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #2

Very nice write up, thank you! Possible to get some pictures up?
How did you remove the rubber at the bottom edge?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Very nice write up, thank you! Possible to get some pictures up?
How did you remove the rubber at the bottom edge?
You are talking about the rubber piece that goes around the van and covers the fasteners at the bottom of the fiberglass topper? It was really a hard plastic what I found. I was at the back above the doors where it was joined and one piece was coming up so I tried to remove the fastener and it snapped. So I knew then that anything further wasn't going to work so removed the black plastic surround trim and ended up with the silicone covering.

BTW Sportsmobile does some good stuff and some weird things. It had a shitter with water tank. There was a tank below the floor between the rails and another one above the floor that the toilet sat on, it was probably the size of a 5 gal gas can laid on its side. Now if someone were to use this and dump a load, that poor fella would be stranded in the first tank with no way to swim to the lower and eventually escape, unless the whole thing was flooded. Kind of a weird setup.

I replaced the water disposal setup with a Nature's Head, haven't used it yet but looking forward to it.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Garage
Rubber piece between topper and van

Dearranged, did you end up replacing the rubber piece all the way around the van? I have about 4' unseated from the track, thinking i will have to replace the entire run of the rubber seal around the top and van. Unless someone knows a way to get the 4' section reseated onto the track?
ohmbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

All the way around. Take it all off and you'll be better off. Mask it off and put a coat all the way around and it will look fine, you can paint it down into the gutters and seal those too. Henrys 100% silicone tropi cool is all I've used. Use a screwdriver and run it down the middle of the trim at about a 30 degree angle and it will come right off if it is brittle enough.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #6

Is the rubber trim around the bottom of the top like this? On our '06 Contempo Top EB50 the trim is right down in the gutter. It must have been installed on the top before it was installed on the rig. Looks like only way to remove would be to cut it. It does not appear very brittle.

The paint clear coat has failed and I want to get the top painted. I guess the choices are cut off the trim and then silicone gap or tape off the trim and hope for the best.

Open to suggestions!

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F38A70A-0849-4543-94D3-34B1C50DB9C5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	42858

Name:	B8527ECB-17BC-4F6B-97F1-E1A9E854521D.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	42859

Name:	68D43547-36AF-4244-B82E-E0384221E51F.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	42860

Name:	7B1A09BD-8320-49AA-9E20-41158C2C1DAF.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	42861
Old 02-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
Ray undo the two screws, you’ll be able to pull the black trim off, there is an alloy piece under neither that will have longer screws that will be spaced about every 6” which is holding the top down. You can replace the black weather stripping if you want, while you have the weather stripping off inspect all the screws & replace what may or may not be corroded. You’ll find a break in the alloy trim ring in more that on place probably 3 on a EB but for sure two breaks in the alloy trim… if you have any questions give me a ring. I’ll be on the Mtn skiing tomorrow but should be around on Tuesday.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #8

Garage
The rubber doesn't seem brittle, but i can see the screws underneath are corroded, i will replace with SST screws and remove the trim and put the Henry's instead of the trim at the gutter/seam. Thanks!
ohmbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #9

Here is my '08 E350 with the silicone applied. The white comes in the gallon cans, there is also a saddle tan and gray but they are available only in the 5 gal bucket last I checked. And you don't want to use the stuff in an enclosed area. After it dries it will still off gas and release plasticizers. It is not like the silicone hot pads, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
09EC7FF7-9C42-4397-911F-61D16B43EAB5.jpeg  
Old 02-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #10

I found when removing a couple screws they would rather break off then come out. If everything is dry and free of loose material you can still paint the sealer over them and it will be fine.