Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

Re: Side door 2007 Ford E350 works loose on bumpy roads

Excellent idea (the tape).

salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
After loosening the torx bolts on the strike and on the latch, I found that there is no adjustment in terms of placement of them. Where they bolt in is where they will be. I ended up just adding some electrical tape around the strike to eliminate the metal/metal contact and it has noticeably reduced the rattles. Its a temporary band aid, but its making driving the van much more pleasant.

The strikes both top and bottom do indeed have adjustment built into how they're mounted to the body. Occasionally the Torx headed bolts need to be loosened enough for the countersunk underedge to show, a light but sharp hammer hit to jar them out of place. Two metal surfaces clamped together tend to form a bond that resembles almost being rusted in place.

Strikes are the only part of this system that can be adjusted--latches are located and essentially locked in place by virtue of how they're mounted to the door shells.

If the tape suits you that's fine---there are better ways however.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #13

I had to adjust my upper 40 striker, and also the mid-striker. Between the 2 I quiet doors now. I used to just add black tape every 3 months or so.

The upper 40 striker was actually mounted too tight, so you had to SLAM the 40 door to get both stages to latch (they are 2-stage latches). I left it a little snug, so you do have to be firm still, because I didn't want it too loose.

My mid-striker worked its way too loose. I tightened it once and it slid back out (I travel on some pretty rough terrain at highway speeds sometimes). I ended up smearing Red Loctite on the back of the striker plate the 2nd time, and since then it has held firm.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #14
JWA

I agree with your method CarringB----mine are adjusted very similar.

Of course there is that fine line between too loose and too tight---individual use and road conditions probably affect how firmly we have to close the side doors and the initial adjustment.

Another issue with any latch would be their own wear---the "hook" or talon or claw becoming wallowed out from being out of adjustment over some time. Since having first owned a beat-to-death '97 E250 I've really not seen too many latch assemblies fail or have issues, most door issues seem to revolve around strikes needing adjustment or as shown in my photos loose fasteners which simulate excessive wear.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
After loosening the torx bolts on the strike and on the latch, I found that there is no adjustment in terms of placement of them. Where they bolt in is where they will be. I ended up just adding some electrical tape around the strike to eliminate the metal/metal contact and it has noticeably reduced the rattles. Its a temporary band aid, but its making driving the van much more pleasant.

The strikes both top and bottom do indeed have adjustment built into how they're mounted to the body. Occasionally the Torx headed bolts need to be loosened enough for the countersunk underedge to show, a light but sharp hammer hit to jar them out of place. Two metal surfaces clamped together tend to form a bond that resembles almost being rusted in place.

Strikes are the only part of this system that can be adjusted--latches are located and essentially locked in place by virtue of how they're mounted to the door shells.

If the tape suits you that's fine---there are better ways however.

I revisited this yesterday and I loosened the bolts on the upper strike for the 40 door. The strike itself was not stuck on the body and dropped as the countersunk bolts loosened. I looked at where the bolts screw in and there is only a hole the size of the bolt and no room for adjustment. I still hit the strike with a mallet with a few shots just to see if it did anything and nothing happened.

At what part should there be adjustability? Should the bolts be able to move a little where they bolt onto the van or should there be some adjustability where the bolts go through the strike? Both holes on my van are the size of the bolt itself.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #16
JWA

Mikracer have you also tried adjusting the lower strike and mid-level (for the 60% door)?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

I tried to unbolt the lower strike, but my cheap torx kit couldnt get a good enough grip and it slipped out twice and started to "strip" the head. When the 40 door is closed, I can see and hear the upper strike/latch wiggle around and make the noise. At this point, I think I'll just leave it with the electrical tape as the noise is pretty much completely gone. I actually ended up taping all of the strikes where the latch contacts it and my van is SUPER quiet now. I'll just re-tape the strike when I start to hear the noise.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan View Post
This may sound counter intuitive, but spray the latch on the top of the door with WD-40, or a silicone spray, until it's drippy wet. Then slam it from the top and that should fix it. And it should stay fixed until it needs to be lubed again ... maybe never.
My doors over a two day period got to where they would barely close and we’re touching at the top. This fixed it in 20 seconds. Thanks Salivan!!!! You rock!
brushogger is offline   Reply With Quote