Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Slider to hinge swap ..NEED answer ASAP

I had a chance to buy to hinge doors for a good price.
My van is a 2003 e350 w a slider.
The doors come off a 2007 E350.
Are they interchangeable I don't have my van with me. And I'm traveling
thanks for any advice in advance I certainly appreciate

This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

Garage
Doubt it’s a bolt on affair, but if your not afraid of a challenge you could likely pul it off. I had a friend do the same swap with a chevy van. He said it was kinda a pita, but he did it in a weekend. This was after everyone on the chevy van forum told him it was impossible.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #3

Make sure you get the hinges too. I replaced a rear door and its easier to take the door off a van with the hinges still on the door than pulling the hinge pin. If the doors are cheap, get them and see what you can do.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #4

Backing plates for the bolts for the hinges and all the body mounted latches will be a challenge. I think those are spot welded prior to assembly.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Okay so it sounds like this is not a bolt on. I don't remember whether the existing slider frame was also stamped and prepped for hinges probably not ...it sounds like?
bummer to as the doors are in perfect condition perfect paint with Windows it's a cargo van so I desperately want to get some windows in there. I can't drive this thing for s*** without vision...lolI'm going to end up taking out a small shopping center or a bus stop.
It's the (only way) to get Windows on a E350 these days...that don't look like ugly add-ons😩 Plus the twin doors are awesome for putting gear and drawers in....Arrrgggggh.
Why can't I have everything I want ???
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

The CR Laurence FW904RS Awning window actually looks pretty good on the slider. That may be an easier solution. I may be able to get one for you, PM me if interested. I need to know where you are located to see if there is a warehouse w one in stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59E5D7E5-8C2C-49A4-B0B7-FBC739AEC0C0.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	34094
Old 06-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Garage
Or a slider from the junkyard with a popout window in it. They do exist, I’ve seen a handful. Even if you could only find one with a fixed window and stumble onto a popout later. Then it would look just as factory. In fact it would also yield better window vision then the barn door windows do.

Another thing you could do first is take a sawzall or other cutting device to the yard to verify whether or not the threaded inserts happen to be in place. My van is setup to accept a slider to some extent, so I assume yours is setup as either as well. It’s just a matter of whether or not those inserts are part of that particular assembly line. I’d be surprised, but sometimes you get small wins.

That or you could just weld the hinges to the chassis. That might have been what my buddy did actually. Not ideal, but he isn’t into that rig much so he said screw it.

There’s also nutserts but I’m not sure they would support the weight and/or stress involved with doors.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Or a slider from the junkyard with a popout window in it. They do exist, I’ve seen a handful. Even if you could only find one with a fixed window and stumble onto a popout later. Then it would look just as factory. In fact it would also yield better window vision then the barn door windows do.

Can confirm on all accounts. I have an E350 Chateau (passenger van) with a factory popout-windowed slider. Vision is excellent.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Maybe adding this a bit too late but looking at my Ford/Mitchell "crash book" I see absolutely NO COMPATIBILITY between the body side sheet metal of the hinged doors and sliding door. Ford's part numbers specifically show different inner structures for each door type, even the outside skin from the B-Pillar to the C-Pillar is different.

Return or re-sell the doors you purchased, buy the CR Laurence piece or try finding an OEM sliding door with window. Even if the window is missing or broken that's repairable for not a lot of money if you're doing the DIY salvage yard thing.

Whew---as a former body shop owner the mere thought of doing this has me quaking in my sneakers!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Maybe adding this a bit too late but looking at my Ford/Mitchell "crash book" I see absolutely NO COMPATIBILITY between the body side sheet metal of the hinged doors and sliding door. Ford's part numbers specifically show different inner structures for each door type, even the outside skin from the B-Pillar to the C-Pillar is different :
YES you are right. I did not buy them. They were a steal at $125.00 but I'm totally NOT into spending that kind of money to modify a $3,000 vehicle....
All the sheet metal is stamped different from the windowed to cargo versions

I would prefer 13 passenger with Windows all around takes away the (creeper van) stigma... lol
It's a 2003 E350 7.3 diesel cargo van... I bought for just 3k w just under 200k on the ODO.
The cost of gas is so prohibitive as a work vehicle, The only reason I bought it, is it is a diesel and a 7.3. I wouldn't take a 6.0 if you paid me .. unless it had all the fixes at a cost of 6-7 grand to fix all of Ford's design problems...lol The newer diesels are just WAY too much in repairs. Even on the 7.3 the cost of a rebuilt motor is 3-4 times more than what I paid for the entire van.
I'm old school I can't see spending 60 to a hundred grand on a new diesel I can buy a little house in Arizona for that price and in 10-15 years it'll be worth double that.
With luck ... I may be able to squeeze a couple hundred thousand out of this 7.3 diesel, this motor has a reputation for being one of if not the best diesel motor ever offered from any manufacturer for distance.
Don't get me wrong this thing has more FORD maintenance issues then three long novels.

It is what it is... I just basically want a Work /Weekender/Moto van.
I'm going to invest in some big ass towing mirrors and a backup camera ! As if I don't.... It there will be panic on the streets!

Thanks for all the replied from everyone and the professional advice!