Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Not Able to Tow

Maybe a longer tongue on the trailer? Would require cutting/welding the new trailer....

Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Maybe a longer tongue on the trailer? Would require cutting/welding the new trailer....

NO sublte inuendos about tongue length please
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #13

Not all receivers stick out rearward the same distance. From your picts it looks like your receiver doesn't. Its compounded by how far the step bumper sticks out over the more common contour bumper. It looks like your receiver would be almost flush with a contour bumper and not a step bumper. I have the same exact setup but I don't tow with my E350 so it doesn't matter to me. I only need my receiver for my bike carrier. I have a different tow vehicle for towing.

As mentioned above see if you can locate a different receiver that sticks out/protrudes farther back. They make them but I don't know the maker and model number. We have a bunch of Ford service vans running around here and I noticed that some have receivers almost flush to the step bumper.

Swapping the propane tanks with the batteries may help but from the pict I'm not so sure it would give you enough room. I had a Fleetwood Saratoga a couple of years ago and the dual propane tanks were already against the trailer wall with the battery in the front. On tight left/right turns such as backing into a campsite it still got a little tight.

A WDH may buy you a little more space even though at 4500lbs you don't really need one. They're pricey too for the good ones. My 2cents would be to find/locate/buy a receiver that is nearly flush with your step bumper. This may buy you about 5 inches.

Hope this helps™,
Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
06 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #14

Sorry, I forgot ...

I have this: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hid ... 80233.html

or something very close to it. Its rated 600/6000 so it should suffice for you.

I also have this: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/H20046.html

but where both ends are finished. Think of it as a trailer wiring extension cord. Having one of these is very handy. Trailers usually have their end of the 7-pin wire harness just long enough to plug into the tow vehicle. Deviate any and it will no longer be long enough and may disconnect. It wouldn't kill them to make it just a tiny bit longer but they don't. So if you had one of these you could setup camp, detach, still be connected electrically AND be able to open your van doors.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #15

Ray ,
I have had the same problem with two of our trailers below I have listed SAFE ALTERNATIVES

1 Go to a reputable licensed Welding shop /Trailer repair shop and have a Welded custom Hitch/Extension made .

2 Remove and replace the existing Jack and replace with a Welded on Heavy Duty double wheeled swing up Jack .

3 Contact your Trailer manufacture and look into the possibility of replacing your complete A Frame as 80% of the A Frames are jig welded to the trailer Frame .

If you like I will take a photograph of the extension that I have here at the House . With regard to moving the location of your Propane Bottles I would check very carefully into this as the RVIA as well as the DOT have very stringent guidelines for the placement of Propane storage .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
It wouldn't kill them to make it just a tiny bit longer but they don't.
Mine wraps around the trailer jack about 6 times before being too long for the van. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #17

Thank you for all the helpful replies gentlemen.
I towed my trailer yesterday minus the propane tanks. No squat with a 1 ton & airbags. Pulls well.
I also found a good hitch/welder/fab man.

We noticed yesterday that nearly all vehicle mounted receivers (Ford, GM & Dodge) come out flush to the bumper.
Mine is inset 3". Grrr, why me...
MY Ford dealer says there is only one receiver. They didn't try too hard looking into it.
I'll look into an aftermarket extended receiver as spurious posted on Putnams receivers.
The WD hitch may be used merely for the extra room (I hear I can use the hitch portion only to gain length?, and save $)

I can swap tanks & batteries to make mucho room - if it can stay legal.
I can drop the batteries with the tops flush to the frame and put the tanks above for the most space conservation.
I've got a plan!

Truly I would like to flip my handle on the hand crank as that rubs the tire raising & lowering the tongue foot.
Or electric motor.

Jeez, so many issues just trying to make this set-up go down the road...

I went with the Tango trailer (Pacific Coachworks) as the interior quality and tanks/insulation etc, was superior to many others.

Close even on the no tire side just pulling out of my storage slot.

Room to work with...

Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #18

I don't know how your jack goes together, but can you pull the head off and reverse the location of the handle? Then it will hit the propane tanks of course! But, maybe that is the excuse you need to do the electric conversion to the jack.

From the photos I can't tell who makes the jack. But, it is easy enough to send the manufacturer an email with your model number and ask if it can be upgraded or if you have to change the jack.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Sorry, I forgot ...

I have this: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hid ... 80233.html

or something very close to it. Its rated 600/6000 so it should suffice for you.

I also have this: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/H20046.html

but where both ends are finished. Think of it as a trailer wiring extension cord. Having one of these is very handy. Trailers usually have their end of the 7-pin wire harness just long enough to plug into the tow vehicle. Deviate any and it will no longer be long enough and may disconnect. It wouldn't kill them to make it just a tiny bit longer but they don't. So if you had one of these you could setup camp, detach, still be connected electrically AND be able to open your van doors.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
Ray that extended hitch looks to be my answer!
I had to re-read to catch it - Sorry!
That weight rating works.

But I would still like to do the electric winch on the jack.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #20

A standard trailer jack should fit that, were it bolts to the trailer in a triangle. Mine is the same attachment except the handle spins horizontally around the jack and then folds flat. I wonder if the triangle is equilateral, and you might be able to spin it 60º where it attaches to the trailer so the handle is away from the tire. Never looked at mine.

Also, find a good trailer store- they should be able to help you with all of this, jack, hitch, receiver.