Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #71

Re: Pikes Peak off road Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Thanks guys for all your input, I have been discussing directly with Dave about design features, but have been following the discussion here as well. Yes, the post with pics of the the crazy basket design was a misinterpretation of what I had in mind, quickly remedied. I believe we are headed the right direction now, and Dave has been more than willing to make changes and work with any features I may want. Thanks Dave, and I think that openly discussing and posting the potential design features of a trailer here on the forum will no doubt improve the end result, thanks for all the input guys! Look forward to seeing it in full size.
At this point, we all look forward to seeing it!

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #72

Getting closer. This uses a UWS tongue box.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #73

Here's the tongue box specs.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #74
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Getting closer. We are flipping the hinge to the other side of the lid. Also putting the propane on the other fender. Fenders, frame, interior, top and mesh basket will be sprayed with black bedliner, the vertical exterior sides of the trailer box will be kept plain diamond plate along with the tongue box, looks nice in the mockup, I will see about adding the pics or maybe Dave will see this and beat me to it. Also looking at some water storage options that might be cheaper than the flat sided containers I have seen that are specific to trailer mounting, Any suggestions? Was thinking of adding one of those big job site water coolers on the fender. I want to use it for showers, connected to a propane hot water on demand unit for showering with a small pump.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #75

Good idea on having the lid swing the other way and moving the propane tank since the SMB's doors are on that side.

Will the trailer tongue box clear the rear van doors being opened? It looks like it from the drawing, just checking.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Good idea on having the lid swing the other way and moving the propane tank since the SMB's doors are on that side.
I think it's also a good idea in case you are on the side of the road and need to access to trailer contents. Standing on the shoulder side of the road, rather than the cars-whizzing-past-at-60mph side of the road is much preferrable IMO.

Herb
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #77

Water / Fuel Carry with Rotoplex??

Could be mounted inside or on exterior, maybe both....

My similar mount has worked perfect

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Water / Fuel Carry with Rotoplex??

Could be mounted inside or on exterior, maybe both....

My similar mount has worked perfect

Rotopax are great gas cans and have them bolted onto my motorcycle for extended trips all the time. They are thin and a great idea for the vans. They have water cans too. I have the 1 gallon and the 2 gallon and the mounts. The best part about them is they don't leak!!

http://www.rotopax.com/
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Getting closer. We are flipping the hinge to the other side of the lid. Also putting the propane on the other fender. Fenders, frame, interior, top and mesh basket will be sprayed with black bedliner, the vertical exterior sides of the trailer box will be kept plain diamond plate along with the tongue box, looks nice in the mockup, I will see about adding the pics or maybe Dave will see this and beat me to it. Also looking at some water storage options that might be cheaper than the flat sided containers I have seen that are specific to trailer mounting, Any suggestions? Was thinking of adding one of those big job site water coolers on the fender. I want to use it for showers, connected to a propane hot water on demand unit for showering with a small pump.
Here's a rough idea on the color scheme. All metal (carbon steel) components will be sprayed with 2k urethane bedliner. The tongue box and sides will be polished aluminum (the very shiny kind).

I will reverse the lid opening side.

Re: water - nato style Jerry can sized water jugs may bean option. They are five gallons and it fits in a standard NATO jerry can mount. Another options would be to add an RV style tank at the front of the trailer (on the inside). They sell them in a myriad of styles. http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=162&page=3. Depending upon the size, we may be able to place the water tank in the tongue box.

Alternatively, We could set two of these on the other fender, mounted in a Jerry can mount - http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=181424

Just some ideas.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline

Will the trailer tongue box clear the rear van doors being opened? It looks like it from the drawing, just checking.
Yes, we will ensure the trailer can go perpendicular to the tow rig without damage.