Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #21

Re: 1997 E350 Pre-Runner for sale - OHIO

SOLD!

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #22

SOLD!!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #23

Where is the rust? I was promised rust!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Where is the rust? I was promised rust!

Hinges have them on the side. Mostly the left door... Bottom corners of the doors have some. Lower lips on the rear near the rear fenders have some.

Under carriage has some surface rust as expected.

It really isn't bad. Again... 17 year old van with only 126k. I don't want to argue with everyone on the rust thing. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I am flexible. But I'm not selling it for low bucks because CA people think it is worthless. Been a great van and is a lot of fun and a head turner. I love this thing and really hate to sell it, but we are condensing vehicles and I want a sprinter instead of the van and trailer. I want to keep it for my son, but just can't have so many vehicles around.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #25

Ohio Prerunner,

I am curious what sort of mileage you are now getting with the modifications. The original v-10 was likely in the 8-10 miles per gallon range. I would guess the lifted(more wind resistance), and large tires(greater rolling reistance/weight,and air resistance) have greatly effected the original milles per gallon. I could guess you are now in the 5-8 miles per gallon range. Towing that trailer may well put you in the 4-7 miles per gallon range.

This is why one might readily find a v-10 with low miles, noone can afford to drive even if stock, and I believe most potential buyers are aware of my described scenario.

The above scenario is likely even why you now would like a diesel sprinter believing you will be getting the advertised 20+ miles per gallon and not need to tow a trailer. I might guess that when you load up your new sprinter with all your gear you'll be in the 15 miles per gallon range.

My guestimated math would show that the additional $20-$40,000 cash you will be investing in the sprinter will never pay out by only doubling your current miles per gallon(maybe after 100,000 miles, 10 years)

Your current van is really cool, it is only my opinion, but I do not foresee the "new" sprinter style craze vans ever being cool (unless your definition of cool is defined by gas mileage).

Suggest you keep the current van and stay cool.

Regards

2011 e-350,rb, 5.4, 13 mpg no matter what(most speed limits in texas-75mph, usually travelling 75-85 mph)
texfamvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by texfamvan
The original v-10 was likely in the 8-10 miles per gallon range. I would guess the lifted(more wind resistance), and large tires(greater rolling reistance/weight,and air resistance) have greatly effected the original milles per gallon. I could guess you are now in the 5-8 miles per gallon range. Towing that trailer may well put you in the 4-7 miles per gallon range.
My V10 has never been that bad. Stock it got 15 MPG at 70 MPH on highway drives. Now that its a dually with 4.56 gears and 32" tires and a permanent roof rack, I get 10-12 MPG highway depending on speed and wind. Mixed commuting around Portlandia which now has SoCal-like traffic, I still get around 10 mpg.

If I pull the 24' car hauler, I get 9 MPG. The lifted 30' car hauler drops be to about 8. It does bottom out around 6 MPG, but that's pulling 15,000 pounds at an AVE speed of 85 doing cross-country drives. My 41' trailer wasn't any worse. I generally averaged around 7.5 however 70 was a more comfortable cruising speed for that much trailer.

Sprinter payback math gets even worse when you budget for $3,000 brake jobs every 60,000 miles and a $6,0000 transmission every 120k. RV vans may not be so bad, but that's pretty typical for commercial use (if not conservative on the brake job intervals).
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #27

I think priced at $6500 is fair.
The hinge rust isn't bad, its the bottom door corner rust that might be tough to fix.
Not bad for a 17 yo vehicle...

I would love to hear more real world V10 MPG figures

And for anyone from CA to say there's no rust out here... they must only buy brand-new cars and never venture anywhere near the coastline. There's plenty of rust out here.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
I think priced at $6500 is fair.
The hinge rust isn't bad, its the bottom door corner rust that might be tough to fix.
Not bad for a 17 yo vehicle...

I would love to hear more real world V10 MPG figures

And for anyone from CA to say there's no rust out here... they must only buy brand-new cars and never venture anywhere near the coastline. There's plenty of rust out here.
Thanks, man. I try and maintain the thing and I really do love it. It's one of the vehicles I've owned that I really enjoy and one that because I went from full on stock to this, has me kinda proud.

As to the MPGs, I am getting about 12 mpg without the trailer at 70-80mph. As for when I pull the trailer. Well... I get about 7-8 MPG depending when I push the skinny pedal further than I should.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by texfamvan
Ohio Prerunner,

I am curious what sort of mileage you are now getting with the modifications. The original v-10 was likely in the 8-10 miles per gallon range. I would guess the lifted(more wind resistance), and large tires(greater rolling reistance/weight,and air resistance) have greatly effected the original milles per gallon. I could guess you are now in the 5-8 miles per gallon range. Towing that trailer may well put you in the 4-7 miles per gallon range.

This is why one might readily find a v-10 with low miles, noone can afford to drive even if stock, and I believe most potential buyers are aware of my described scenario.

The above scenario is likely even why you now would like a diesel sprinter believing you will be getting the advertised 20+ miles per gallon and not need to tow a trailer. I might guess that when you load up your new sprinter with all your gear you'll be in the 15 miles per gallon range.

My guestimated math would show that the additional $20-$40,000 cash you will be investing in the sprinter will never pay out by only doubling your current miles per gallon(maybe after 100,000 miles, 10 years)

Your current van is really cool, it is only my opinion, but I do not foresee the "new" sprinter style craze vans ever being cool (unless your definition of cool is defined by gas mileage).

Suggest you keep the current van and stay cool.

Regards

2011 e-350,rb, 5.4, 13 mpg no matter what(most speed limits in texas-75mph, usually travelling 75-85 mph)
Tex-

I appreciate the suggestion and I would if I could afford to. We just have too many vehicles at the house and the real reason to get a sprinter is to condense. When I haul the trailer to the tracks, I am getting single digit MPGs. The sprinter (2006 gets 20-25MPG) will get maybe 20 MPG hauling everything. That extra 12 miles per gallon will pay off the cost of diesel vs. gas prices.

I just get rid of two units and have one that can essentially do the job of both.

And, while not nearly as cool, I gots me some ideas!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #30

I drive a diesel vw as my commuter car, jetta sportwagon, I think its cool and really does drive like a sports car. Forty miles per gallon no matter how I drive, calculate the old fashioned way, miles on trip odometer divided by gallons input at gas station, with hand held calculator.

One thing I "kinda forgot", even here in Texas, diesel has a .50-.75 cents premium over gasoline, bet its worse in Ohio/California.

Payout at least for me is usually calculated at the beginning of my quest, my opinion of reality after many years of quest, nothing pays out, just do what you find fun and it will "pay out".

Tex
texfamvan is offline   Reply With Quote