Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #1

2002 E350 Exhaust/CAT System Question

Greetings -

I have searched for a diagram of the exhaust/CAT system matching whats on my van (V10 Triton) and can't seem to find one that looks like mine.

My question for SMB owners out there with V10's from 2001-2003 (?) is --

I know the largest "cylinder" before the muffler is the CAT - but what are the two smaller cylinders before the CAT - attached to exhaust pipes that branch out from a "Y" section of pipe north of the CAT - closer to engine ? Are they both resonators ? -- or are they mini-CATS of some type ? If you can direct me to a diagram of "my" CAT - Many thanks !

Also - if you are unfortunate to have had your CAT stolen or damaged doing 4x4 stuff - where did you find a replacement CAT -- as my generic search shows "discontinued" on multiple car part web sites ?

Thanks for applicable responses !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

I can only speak to the replacement CAT aspect, having had a CAT stolen off of our honda element and having gone through California Smog testing on our e250 due to an aftermarket CAT. CATs are uber backordered around the country due to heightened theft since the start of Covid (you probably already know that). I had far better luck having repair shops look up inventory - they were able to pull a lot more info on what CATs were available and when.

If you are in CA or ever plan on moving to CA, make sure that the CAT you buy is CA legal. You can get a vehicle with a federally (not CA ) legal CAT registered in CA, but it is a royal PITA.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:28 AM   #3

Hello, I had my cats on my 5.4 clog up a couple of years ago mid-roadtrip after 120 miles of washboard at the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Took it to a shop in Kanab and mechanic identified clogged cats, and removed all three…the big one and the two smaller ones you describe…yes 3 cats total. He didn’t have access to CA-compliant cats, so he welded in straight pipes that got me home. It was a big bill when back in CA to get three CA-compliant cats installed.

But yes, three cats.

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #4

The forward cats are required for CA only. All vans didn’t get them until later when they just went 50-state compliant. That said…. My Banks PowerPack came with a CARB number even though the headers replaced the forward cats. But thePowerPack is only available for 2WD vans so if you’re in CA you’ll want to stick with the 3-cat setup.