Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2023, 10:18 PM   #11

Front pax side front suspension and frame rail detail photos
Attached Thumbnails
BFV front axel upward.jpg   BFV pax side suspension.jpg   BFV pax side second chassis battery box and frame rail.jpg   BFV pax side frame rail rear looking forward.jpg   BFV pax side frame rail rear leaf spring attach point.jpg  

BFV pax side frame rail outboard looking aft.jpg  

bboeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:20 PM   #12

Drive train detail photos
Attached Thumbnails
BFV transfer case and exhaust looking aft.jpg   BFV transmission looking forward.jpg   BFV under front axel looking aft.jpg  
Old 10-16-2023, 11:17 AM   #13

Drivers side frame rail and suspension detail photos
Attached Thumbnails
BFV drivers side front suspension and axel.jpg   BFV drivers side frame rail and leaf spring.jpg   BFV drivers side leaf spring attach point.jpg   BFV drivers side outboard frame rail mid looking aft.jpg   BFV drivers side outboard rear frame rail looking forward.jpg  

Old 10-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #14

Why Build?
Ultimately the reason we decided to build vs purchase a stock SMB was that we had rented several newer SMBs and were unimpressed with the quality of the interior fit / finish / ergonomics. The interior of both rented SMBs felt like a dark cave, due to lack of rear windows. We camp in pretty remote places & I like to be able to sit up in bed and enjoy the amazing (and changing) view. Both rental SMBs had numerous interior electrical problems and many spots where the cabinet particle board construction was readily apparent.

I did love the simplicity of the SMB manual top and SMB North was the only place that still installed the manual tops.

Worse yet, one of the E350 gas V-10 rented SMBs left us stranded at the top of Monarch Pass, CO for 6 hrs while we attempted to get the vehicle running again.

I also came very close to pulling the trigger on a new Sprinter purchase (thinking I was going to save on build time). Ultimately I was dissuaded from that after running across a local Coloradan that was literally giving away his work Sprinter due to mechanical reasons. My next door neighbors have a 2019 4WD Sprinter that has been towed from their driveway no less than 4 times, so their purchase validated my fears.

So that's the why on why we chose the 7.3L Diesel vs and other engine & why we elected to have the interior professionally completed by RV Interiors here in Denver (installing cabinets from Gossling Woodworking).

Now here are some additional photos of the build process ---- >
Old 10-19-2023, 06:46 PM   #15

SMB North Penthouse top install
Attached Thumbnails
BFV SMB North.jpg   BFV blank canvas 1.jpg   BFV blank canvas 2.jpg   BFV SMB penthouse top install 1.jpg   BFV SMB penthouse top install 2.jpg  

BFV SMB penthouse top install 3.jpg  
Old 10-19-2023, 06:53 PM   #16

SMB North Penthouse top install and interior mock-ups
Attached Thumbnails
BFV SMB penthouse top install 4.jpg   BFV SMB penthouse top install 5.jpg   BFV interior cabinet and window mock up.jpg   BFV interior cabinet mock up.jpg   BFV interior seat placement mock up 1.jpg  

BFV interior seat placement mock up 2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #17

Wow-- such a cool build. I also went the "build" route, but after all the thought I put into my choices, it's still hard not to be envious of the design decisions you went with-- that's a lot of usable interior space. PM'd you some questions.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:36 PM   #18

Additional interior photos
Attached Thumbnails
BFV Dinette.jpg   BFV Interior 1.jpg   BFV Interior 2.jpg   BFV Interior 3.jpg   BFV Interior 4.jpg  

BFV Interior 5.jpg  
Old 10-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #19

Additional interior build photos
Attached Thumbnails
BFV Cabinet details.jpg   BFV Fridge Install.jpg   BFV front seats.jpg   BFV Interior cabinet detail.jpg   BFV Interior.jpg  

BFV Reading lights.jpg  
Old 10-30-2023, 07:40 PM   #20

Additional interior photos

Update: Now asking $75,800
Attached Thumbnails
BFV Interior 15.jpg   BFV Interior 16.jpg   BFV Interior 17.jpg   BFV Interior 18.jpg