Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Same here, never knew they were available. I’d like a windshield, both front doors and rear doors if they were available.

Also, who is Ray’s E Series store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Ray (forum name "1der") is a longtime forum contributor who is very generous with his time and advice. He has a store for some items related to E-series vans. Blingmyrig.com

He's also been supplying people with swivel bases for a long, long time.

As difficult as it is to find things for the econoline these days, we should all support the efforts like his when we can.
Ahh, got a door talon from him. Didn’t recognize till you said Blingmyrig.com

2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #22

So, I ended up the last batch of Scuba's window blinds and I must say I'm really glad I did. the fit and finish is first rate. I have not mounted them yet but holding them in place I can see they are going to be virtually light proof. The insulation is the right amount to allow them to fold up (accordion style) without a battle, yet I can tell they are going to make a huge difference on those cold nights. The straps are good quality. The snaps are firm enough to hold but not too strong that it's a bitch to unsnap them.

In the batch I purchased the 60 side door blind is notched to allow for the window opening hardware. I have added rear opening windows and those blinds are not notched. The Mrs says it's a easy fix.

I do hope that someone continues to make these for the benefit of other Econoline owners . Even if you own a a windowless cargo van, or have non stock windows, just having the two that cover the drivers & passenger door windows is a huge bonus with no other better method to cover them then these. (how many have rolled a towel up in the window lol )

Maybe if enough people post here they want some of these and the amounts, that might be enough to inspire someone to take Scuba's idea and continue production.

The items available for Econoline's is slowing getting smaller. It's so awesome to see something new come on the scene, I just hope it continues.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #23

Thanks @Lilnuts2 .

I came here to post a quick update on usage. After several months of having these installed, I'm noticing the need for some solution to hold them flush against the window (to minimize condensation). My set was originally held in place by the vertical components of all of the seat belts in the 15-passenger, but after removing each of those over time, the covers tend to hang straight down.

Velcro hasn't worked for me, though that would be simplest for those who could sew the curtain-side of the velcro onto the curtain. This product has an almost clear side you could use on the window:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm really happy with the magnet solution I provided for the rear two windows, so I'm going to be personally retrofitting the other windows similarly. The big challenges will be my sewing skills (and for those who've tried, sewing a magnet into a hem in particular is a pain b/c the magnet sticks to the machine) and getting the matching magnets behind the trim pieces, since various interior upgrades have been built on top of the trim panels throughout.

Anyways, wanted to share that. Camping in 36 degree weather was challenging this weekend. The family didn't love the Webasto-style gas-powered heater cycling (and it eventually ran the dual 12v deep cycles below the min voltage for the heater, but that'll be a dif thread), and there was quite a bit of gap between the covers and the glass. For Ray or whoever takes up the mantle of this project, incorporating perimeter magnets in the production process would probably be worth it.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #24

scuba -- so which magnets are you going to use ? - source for magnets ?

Thanks !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #25

Here are the type of magnets I used on the rear door window surrounds and covers:

https://www.magnet4sale.com/n50-1-1-...-block-magnet/

This supplier is local for me, so I went by there yesterday and got some smaller ones this time. I tried to find some at a lower strength rating to make them easier to handle, but they didn't have any. The ones I got were "N50" strength.

I finished epoxying them to a couple of spots on the barn doors yesterday. (This is the same method I followed on the rear doors). It is an inexact science, but can be a very clean install, especially if you sew them into the hem. I knew I wouldn't have the patience to do that again, especially for the ~6 locations I'm anticipating for the long windows, so I bought (for the curtain side) magnets with a countersunk drill hole, and am going to try bolting them to the hem edge, and plasti-dipping then exposed side, to minimize scratching the trim.

For those who have a passenger van, fwiw, I end up breaking the tabs in doing stuff like this, with our aging E-series's....
Attached Thumbnails
CropperCapture[799].jpg   CropperCapture[810].jpg   CropperCapture[809].jpg  
Old 03-25-2022, 11:10 PM   #26

Hi Scuba, still have the blinds. Interested in two front doors, barn doors, and back doors? Thank you. Joe
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrmbl View Post
Hi Scuba, still have the blinds. Interested in two front doors, barn doors, and back doors? Thank you. Joe
We've sold all the window covers that were produced. If you guys want to just note your interest on here, the thought is I'll pass off the remaining materials and templates to someone at some point.