Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2023, 06:13 PM   #11

Ooops - my van is the 4r100 Transmission --

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #12

So again, Ford states that you should be using straight "MERCON" fluid in the 4R100 not MERCON V. It also states that you should NOT use dual purpose fluids. Meaning if you walk into the parts store and the guy at the counter says i dont have any straight MERCON but this stuff here will work for both MERCON and MERCON V, you should turn and run for the door. It also clearly states that MERCON and MERCON V are NOT interchangable. That image i posted is straight off of Fords website in the owners manual section. If you opened up the owners manual your truck came with you would find the same thing printed there.

Thats not to imply that you cant put whatever you want in it and possibly have no issues. I can fill my axle with canola cooking oil and likely drive around town with no issues beyond a bit more gear noise, but eventually its highly likely it will fail.

https://www.ford.com/support/owner-manuals/
Attached Thumbnails
ford.PNG  
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:45 PM   #13

Ford stated you can ONLY use MERCON and NOT MERCON V. Then, when MERCON was discontinued Ford withdrew the requirement and now states MERCON V is the fluid to use. (They have published several TSB's on this topic)
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:16 PM   #14

Interesting, i dont have access to ford TSB's so its news to me. So ford directed customers NOT to put MERCON V in specific components claiming it could result in destroying those components and then turns around and says, nevermind its ok now.

So is ford also saying its ok to mix the two fluids now or are they recommending draining your transmission and convertor before you start running the MERCON V?

Looks like i stuck my foot in my mouth again by questioning carringb's expertise.

I should known better by now i guess... I owe you an apology carringb, sorry.

In the future i will just stick to sharing my personal projects and asking questions. Im old and outdated in the mechanics field. Sorry to the OP as well, i wasnt trying to mislead you, i wasnt aware that ford had done a complete 180.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Interesting, i dont have access to ford TSB's so its news to me. So ford directed customers NOT to put MERCON V in specific components claiming it could result in destroying those components and then turns around and says, nevermind its ok now.

So is ford also saying its ok to mix the two fluids now or are they recommending draining your transmission and convertor before you start running the MERCON V?

Looks like i stuck my foot in my mouth again by questioning carringb's expertise.

I should known better by now i guess... I owe you an apology carringb, sorry.

In the future i will just stick to sharing my personal projects and asking questions. Im old and outdated in the mechanics field. Sorry to the OP as well, i wasnt trying to mislead you, i wasnt aware that ford had done a complete 180.
Don't sweat it, man, you've given good advice and printed specs to back it up. It's a sticky subject with a lot of people. On top of that, Ford has changed their minds on essentially the same transmission enough to confuse everyone! I trust Carringb's advice always but my 35 year transmission guy recently told me different, some backstory included.

I recently did a full pan drop/filter swap and fluid change on my 2011 (V10, 5r110) and failed to pick up on the difference between Mercon V and Mercon LV when shopping for fluid. I chose Maxlife as my fluid because it was readily available locally and Motorcraft Mercon fluids were not. My transmission did NOT like MerconV, which many people will tell you is ok for about any modern Ford transmssion. It wasn't for me. It says right on my dipstick to use 'Mercon LV'. It literally says 'USE MERCON LV' in big yellow letters and I didn't notice. Keep in mind my van is a 2011/5r110, not an older one like Doublevan's.

After a couple of trips in the new-to-me van I noticed some harmonic chatter at highways speeds. My transmission guy AND my mechanic who had just done a rear axle service asked if I specifically used LV and at this point I figured out that I had not. I dumped almost $100 of Maxlife down the drain and replaced with another $100 of Motorcraft LV and the chatter seems to be gone, though I need a long trip to completely rule it out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Mercon-V is the correct specification for the 4r100. To meet the spec, it pretty much needs to be synthetic. No need to pay extra for that label. I just run Napa unless something else is on sale.

The big no-no is running original Dex-Merc, which many shops stock in bulk, so they’ll put it in by default.

Mercon LV is required for the 5r110.

Mobile 1 Synthetic meets Mercon-V but no not LV spec.

Valvoline MaxLife meets both specs. The 4r100 will shift firm initially, but it doesn’t take long for the PCM to adjust and make it feel normal again.
I hope this is viewed as a related question. I have a new to me 2000 E-350 XLT lift van with V10, 4r100 with 300K miles. It was a fleet vehicle and had 250K miles in 5 years put on it before going back to personal handicap van service. The engine starts and does not put out any smoke and passed smog very well but was dirties than the 2002 E-250 V-8 5.4L I also have. It could be the transmission was rebuilt as well as the engine; they are pretty clean but I have nothing else to confirm. I know the differential was replaced close to 280K miles.

I don't know the service history but the transmission fluid was pretty black but seemed to run well enough. I did a complete flush/filter with Mercon V and added an external spinoff trans filter (with temp sensor) along with the inline mag filter (both behind the grill).

When I first did a test drive, the engine would start to stall when put into reverse. It did this twice before I pulled back into the driveway. During the flush/refill I had gone through the gears to fill the modulator passages while still on blocks.

I put in a bottle of Lucas "Stop Slip" and the reversing problem disappeared as soon as I went to reverse the first time. It seems to be working fine although I have had it on blocks for break and suspension work.

Any cautions or warnings about doing this?
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:12 PM   #17

Stalling in reverse is usually because the torque converter clutch is not releasing, which could be a solenoid problem, or could a low pressure issue. How does it shift other than that? Any sluggish or overlapping shift feel?

Based on how the Lucas stuff is advertised, there doesn’t appear to be much in terms of adverse affects. Other transmission additives can cause the clutches to slip, but the Lucas is supposed to lubricate valves & solenoids. So if your temps are still normal, I’d probably call it good enough for now.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Stalling in reverse is usually because the torque converter clutch is not releasing, which could be a solenoid problem, or could a low pressure issue. How does it shift other than that? Any sluggish or overlapping shift feel?

Based on how the Lucas stuff is advertised, there doesn’t appear to be much in terms of adverse affects. Other transmission additives can cause the clutches to slip, but the Lucas is supposed to lubricate valves & solenoids. So if your temps are still normal, I’d probably call it good enough for now.
Thanks for the response. I have only put about 50 miles on it but it seemed OK and there was no issue with backing up before the ATF change.

The stalling in reverse only happened right after doing the full flush which is why I put the Lucas in after.

When I drove it after I did not sense any shifting problems. I don't recall if I went back on the freeway with it, but should have at least kicked it down from 45 mph for a brief acceleration. It all seemed fine.

I gunned it a few times (both before the Lucs and after) from a slow roll and it broke loose the right rear tire on loose gravel. It accelerated fine. It is a fairly heavy vehicle as it is XLT EB with a 300 lbs wheelchair lift and 16" hightop with steel reinforcement.

It is good to know that the symptom is common and was probably cleared up by the Lucus (it disappeared immediately after putting it in)
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #19

Mine is a2005 EB V10 with a 5R110W RWD and I use SP fluid as called for in my manual but only one I could not find any SP and I used a few quarts of LV fluid. Whenever I find SP fluid online I stockpile it because its hit and miss as to which Ford dealership sells it. So far the van has 308000+ miles on the original tranny without issues (let me find some wood to knock on). Next fluid change is due in about a month and will require swapping out the pan seal as it seemed less optimal during the last fluid change.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote