Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #11

Re: "Holy Grail" Help, how much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkuhn

Milkracer, it is the one that was listed in Newport that included the trailer, the prior buyer fell through.
That one looked real nice. If you don't need the trailer, you could always sell that too.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkuhn
Thanks everybody for the input, some of my concerns have been echoed in the replies. I did experience some problems with shifting the atlas transfer case, don't know if it's because it has been rarely put into 4wd or what?
They're all like that. You get a feel for it and suddenly it all seems normal. I'd submit that's the one piece you shouldn't have to worry about- I've abused the same Atlas II in 3 different Jeeps and another one in my van and the only problem has been a loose rear nut on the van output shaft. They're also common dealer parts (like the seal I bought before I knew it was just a nut was a stock Chrysler part).
Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #13

Also... so?!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #14

tentative appointment to meet with the owner next week for a full tour and second look, any advice on what to look for?

thanks in advance
martkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #15

Here's a little reading:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/52307 ... tions.html

You may also want to read evy's recent thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13129 ... -help.html

A couple excerpts which are important:

"inspecting the intake for signs of dust is the most important thing"

If you want to post videos for us to critique: "start the friggin' engine and show us the oil filler cap blow by test! Also letting us hear you start the engine and letting us hear it run with the camera pointed toward the open engine bay would help. (There's a guy on here who likes to flick a bic lighter while running his engine at WOT to show off how quiet his superbly tuned 7.3 is.) But I digress. Getting, a friend to stand outside and video the passenger side as you drive towards and away from the camera would be good also. Finally, a video shot of the exhaust pipe as you start the engine and then raise the idle and let off the peddle a few times could be instructive."
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #16

What year is the 7.3?

Also, you don't want the cooktop - who wants the smell inside the van? Just cook outside.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Here's a little reading:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/52307 ... tions.html

You may also want to read evy's recent thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13129 ... -help.html

A couple excerpts which are important:

"inspecting the intake for signs of dust is the most important thing"

If you want to post videos for us to critique: "start the friggin' engine and show us the oil filler cap blow by test! Also letting us hear you start the engine and letting us hear it run with the camera pointed toward the open engine bay would help. (There's a guy on here who likes to flick a bic lighter while running his engine at WOT to show off how quiet his superbly tuned 7.3 is.) But I digress. Getting, a friend to stand outside and video the passenger side as you drive towards and away from the camera would be good also. Finally, a video shot of the exhaust pipe as you start the engine and then raise the idle and let off the peddle a few times could be instructive."
If he does all that, the van will be long gone. Lol! If his next appointment is next week, then he has to spend an hour video taping, go home and upload, get on the forum and post links etc., someone else is going to buy it out from under him.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #18

My 7.3L F250 clattered like a freight train, got lots of "never heard one so loud" even from truck guys. Nothing wrong with it, sold it for top dollar with 77K.

I can't think of anything you could find that isn't a more or less easy fix. I mean if the propane gauge is at 0 that means a leak and no reputable propane shop should fill it for you- would I not buy it because of that? Heck no.

And plenty of people like their indoor cooktops. I'm not one of them, but again it's not something you don't buy the van over.

I guess I'd look for things like bubbled (water damage) pressboard and evaluate the general wear and tear/dirtiness and maybe negotiate based on that.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #19

It's back up for sale $54,750.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4519381149.html
Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

OK so if Mart Kuhn is still watching this thread, the vehicle in Zuma's post looks really good.

As far as price goes:

I think I paid $35K for my 2002 7.3L diesel Extended Body wagon (with windows, rear A/C, etc.) new from the factory;
Another $15K for conversion to 4x4;
Another $3K for the top.
That's $53K right there.

Then I have spent alot more for the house battery, inverter, solar, second alternator, etc.
(And I am in the process of redoing alot of the foregoing.)

So $54K for such a turn key vehicle from a single owner from So. Cal. where rust is not an issue, is not a great price, but not a bad price either.

Mileage is less important than the quality of the maintenance on a 7.3L. If I were considering the vehicle, I would review every receipt that the owner has, then I would do the oil filler blow-by test (no tools or technical knowledge required) and look at how well the air filter box is seated, then take it to a good diesel mechanic and have him run an engine diagnostic tool on it and give you the printout and with you being allowed to speak to the technician who ran the test yourself. (Not to a friggin' service writer !!! Make sure that the requirement that the tech speak with you is on the service write up sheet so it is part of the service order or find another shop.) [I would really like to see the tech pull the dog house and the turbo inlet pipe and examine and snap a photo of the turbo vane condition too, but if you don't want to have that done, fine. but its not hard to do on a van and is not very invasive.]

Then make your offer. The value of a vehicle of that age and relatively little mileage (but that high idle controller may mean it has more hours on the engine than mileage would indicate) is FMV i.e., what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller, neither under a compulsion to buy or sell (which includes a plus or minus for the current state of the local economy).

And assuming that the vehicle checks out and you buy it - IMMEDIATELY drop the fuel tank and see if you have steel fuel tank lamination. See:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...fuel-tank.html

Good luck and post what you find and what you do...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote