Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Check Your Local Listings...

Saw a fun show on the Travel Channel yesterday. It followed the construction of three "Extreme RVs". One was the GXV based on a Unimog, one was a huge bus thing and then a place in Bend , OR that restored vintage trailers. Great fun to watch. Reminded me of the years I spent building highly custom VW Syncro TDI Westfalias--except these folks were, like, you know, successful.

A few thoughts come to mind however: the GXV is built on a German made truck (Unimog) using super light composite panels also made in Europe by, presumably, union workers with universal health care. The bus thing was built on a Canadian Prevost bus built, presumably, by union workers with universal health care. And finally the 1947 vintage years old trailers built in the US by, presumably, union workers--probably without health care. I wonder if these small American RV companies are able to provide health care and good benefits for their workers.

Thrilled to see we still make something in the US, but do they have to be made on either imported vehicles or 65 year old American rigs? Seems like it--even SMB which makes the most American RV's around will have to rely on Nissan and Mercedes for their base vehicles from now on. Me fears we have indeed lost our way.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #2

Re: Check Your Local Listings...

bravo!

and i knew well of meek creek syncros BTW
coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

All unions provide health care, even the soviet.
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Check Your Local Listings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coguzzi
bravo!

and i knew well of meek creek syncros BTW

Ha! It was MINK Creek Syncros. Unless you were referring to my business acumen.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

i was in the syncro world for 13 years and 5 different syncros, still pay attention to the happenings but dont own one right now (although i do miss them). i did my own mobile syncro work, i knew of your work. its a small community afterall
Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Saw a fun show on the Travel Channel yesterday. It followed the construction of three "Extreme RVs". One was the GXV based on a Unimog, one was a huge bus thing and then a place in Bend , OR that restored vintage trailers. Great fun to watch. Reminded me of the years I spent building highly custom VW Syncro TDI Westfalias--except these folks were, like, you know, successful.

A few thoughts come to mind however: the GXV is built on a German made truck (Unimog) using super light composite panels also made in Europe by, presumably, union workers with universal health care. The bus thing was built on a Canadian Prevost bus built, presumably, by union workers with universal health care. And finally the 1947 vintage years old trailers built in the US by, presumably, union workers--probably without health care. I wonder if these small American RV companies are able to provide health care and good benefits for their workers.

Thrilled to see we still make something in the US, but do they have to be made on either imported vehicles or 65 year old American rigs? Seems like it--even SMB which makes the most American RV's around will have to rely on Nissan and Mercedes for their base vehicles from now on. Me fears we have indeed lost our way.

Z
Not sure I see the point in this with the whole healthcare & union thing. except health care in the US is a scam, and just keeps getting worse.
But back on track, the MB based vehicle you are talking about, Sprinter is a plane copy of one of Ford's best selling vehicles ever, the Transit Van. Since that's coming to the US, I would assume that it will outsell the sprinter over here as it does in just about every other country. And be used in more conversions.

OH, BTW Unions pretty much killed all the auto industry in the UK, where the transit was designed and made originally. Like many things, I feel the Unions have lost their way as well.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

i lived in canada for a stint (BC), and my wife is canadian (QC), canadian universal health care does not work either (better in QC than BC though), takes years to get an appointent--enough time to die, and they just hand out antibiotics like candy since its easy. i actually had a doctor tell me if i wanted to actually fix something in a timely manner, go to the US, which is the common trend these days.

in therory it should work awesome, but just gets taken advantage of and people go to the doctor for hangnails, and since doctors are paid by piece work, they rush you through. so we need to come up with a system that merges the 2 and i think it will be golden

its not free either--try paying canadian taxes sometime
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Site Team

How about those Unimogs?