Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Community Forums > Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #1

Question Quiet campsites (boondocking) Moab and also South Grand Canyon area late march

Quiet campsites (boondocking) Moab and also South Grand Canyon area late march

Hi all

We will be in a 4x4 (so easy to off road) and I'm looking to find scenic quiet safe boondocking late march.

Specifically just 2 areas - (sadly short on time and limited to only these 2 areas)

just a tiny bit north or just south of Moab, UT (so easy dinner in Moab that night)

and also at, or very close to the South rim of Grand Canyon.

Yes of course we'll watch for road closures, and watch the weather....

and I believe that roads may close that make it impossible to get to the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

We are fully self contained, and prefer scenic and quiet boondocking.

Thanks for any suggestions!

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #2

There are a few forest service roads that shoot off from around Tusayan, and depending on snow pack offer dispersed camping FR302, FR328, FR686, FR688. Around Moab, Willow Springs offers dispersed camping BLM378, but can be a zoo in the spring. The BLM does patrol the 'no camping' areas closer to town and have hassled me at the Bar M trail parking early one morning.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Kaibab National Forest ends right about 5 minutes outside of the entrance gate to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I can't say for certain what it'll be like in March, but we were just there last week and at most saw two cars during our four day stay!

Driving into South Rim from Tusayan you'll see NF328 on your left right before the Grand Canyon Sign, no camping for the first half mile or so and then it's fair game!
GrandVanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #4

My go to spot in Moab. Good boondocking spot and there is a pit toilet not too far away at the Lone Mesa campground if needed. The direction are from SLC.

https://goo.gl/maps/ziMVQroLope4TeFc9
macsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsfamily View Post
My go to spot in Moab. Good boondocking spot and there is a pit toilet not too far away at the Lone Mesa campground if needed. The direction are from SLC.

https://goo.gl/maps/ziMVQroLope4TeFc9
I agree. For quiet near Moab I like lots of spots off 313 near Canyonlands Island district and Deadhorse. Everything good there is going to be totally off grid. If you need amenities you'll have neighbors.

I particularly like the looks of a few spots I saw on top of the bluffs near Deadhorse on Long Canyon rd.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Oh darn... there goes the neighborhood. Have been to that spot up by 313 many times and sometimes the only ones up there and other times, not so much. Do not go there Easter week...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #7

I second Willow Springs near Moab. Take the right off BLM378 about .5 miles off the highway and you'll find fewer trailers and a pit toilet. You'll be much more secluded up near the rocks.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

Garage
Kane's Creek Canyon is the best, 8 miles off the main road, but worth every foot!
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #9

Above the Potash ponds on 279 (road takes off just north of Moab) was one of our favorites. you can camp below the ponds down by the mine too if you would rather be closer to the river.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote