Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #1

Dempster Hwy fall 2022

Here are some of the images of our trip from Montana up the Dempster Hwy to the Arctic Ocean last Aug/Sep. It was spectacular.

If you consider going, take plenty of time to prepare, and even more time to enjoy the trip itself!
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC4397 Rainbow over van on  Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC0569 Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) in tundra, west of Richardson mountains, Yukon, .jpg   _DSC2498 Mountains, Tombstone Territorial Park, Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC4092 Northern lights (aurora borealis) above our tent, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC4613 Marcel Huijser and Bethanie Walder at the end of the Dempster Highway at the Arctic Oce.jpg  

_DSC4339 Start of the Dempster Highway, yo the Arctic Ocean, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC1950 Mountains, Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC2116 Tundra, Richardson Mountains, along  Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC2449 Mountain and clouds, along Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg  

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #2

more images
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2215 Arctic ground squirrel (Urocitellus parryii), Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC2263 Spruce grouse (Canachites canadensis), Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC2260 Tundra between Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada-3.jpg   _DSC2675 Fall colors, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC2590 Camper van, gravel road, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg  

_DSC3943 Northern lights (aurora borealis), Liard River Hot Springs, Brtitish Columbia, Canada.jpg  
Old 03-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #3

some more images
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2846 Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) fishing for Salmon, Alaska_-2.jpg   _DSC4032 Inflating the pack raft, Morley Lake, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC2619 Moonrise, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC4134 Backpacking in Tombstone Territorial Park, to Grizzly Lake, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC4775 Campervan on Dempster highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg  

_DSC4533 Northern lights (aurora borealis), Richardson Mountains, along  Dempster Highway, Yukon.jpg   _DSC4471 Approaching the Richardson Mountains, along  Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC4436 Northern lights (Aurora borealis) over camp site along  Dempster Highway, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC7039 Muddy camper van, Dempster highway south of Eagle River, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC6829 Sunset at the Arctic Ocean in Tuktoyatuk, Northwest Territories, Canada.jpg  

Old 03-21-2023, 01:08 PM   #4

Beautiful pictures Marcel.

Curious if you felt the need to carry a second spare tire? I see it often recommended for Alaska travel.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #5

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:04 PM   #6

Garage
Really enjoy when pic's are shared...your Moonrise picture is captivating! Thank you.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #7

Garage
Awesome as usual, thanks. I plan to be up there this year.

Marcel, Iwould also appreciate your thoughts on second spare and how much time you spent on the Dempster.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments and questions!

SPARE TIRES

Yes, it is wise to have 2 full spare tires for trips like this, but we only carried 1 because weight and space are always an issue. However, if I were to do it again, I would consider taking a 2nd spare tire but without the rim and put it on the roof rack. That way I know that if I get to a tire shop, all they need to do is replace a destroyed tire on one of the 5 rims... That way I don't depend on the remote shop to have "my tire" in stock. Of course, this still leaves you in a hole if you get 2 flats and you can't fix either before you get to a tire place. However, the following helps:

1. Have good tires and decent tread at start of trip. I know there are many options, but we have BF Goodrich AT KO2.

2. Air down when on long gravel roads... the 600 mi on the Dempster (one-way) definitely makes it worthwhile (reduced probability of punctures, a bit more comfort and also grip). I think I varied between 45-50 PSI on front, 50-55 PSI on rear.

3. Carry a tire repair kit (We have an ARB set). Combined with an air compressor you may be able to fix small punctures while leaving it on the vehicle and not using the 1st spare.

4. Go slow! This is probably the most important recommendation that reduces your exposure to trouble. If you skid or if you get into softer shoulder it may result in flats ... or worse (see image below of someone who wrecked). Also, there are not only potholes but sink holes. Especially where culverts have failed and undercut the roadbed... you may be the first to find out there is a sinkhole that has not yet been marked! The roadbed is not thick enough to keep the permafrost, then culverts sink, snap, and cause erosion from underneath. Climate change doesn't help... we are always behind with how we build things vs. how we should build things.

5. The road, especially the edges, gets soft when it is wet. Consider waiting a day or so for things to dry out to reduce probability of problems. Shale is more problematic when the road gets softer when wet and results in increased probability of puncturing side wall (no repair possible).

6. When traffic comes from the other way, slow way down, carefully and slowly move to the edge of the road... you can easily loose control in a soft shoulder!

That said, we had zero flats out and back to Montana, well over 6000 mi in total, and probably 2000 mi of gravel and dirt. We did help 2 others change tires (see an image below).

TIME SPENT ON DEMPSTER

We took 14 days on the Dempster. You can do it in 2 days up, and 2 days down (4 days total), but what is the point of that? The 14 days on the Dempster included 4 days backpacking in Tombstone Territorial Park, which is an incredible mountain range... straight from Lord of the Rings!
Word of caution... The Dempster is 1 way in, 1 way out. A semi-truck had too tall of a load and damaged the bridge across the Eagle River... which was then closed. Light vehicles were allowed to pass through intermittently, including us. Took 10 days for full repair. Alternatively, drive back several hundred KM north to Inuvik, take flight home, pick up vehicle next year... so... it is good to not be on a tight schedule. We were only camped for 1 night on the north side of the damaged bridge... If you have a Unimog of MAN overlander you may have had to wait 10 days...
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC7011 Someone had a flat tire while waiting for the bridge across the Eagle River to be inspe.jpg   _DSC7044 Potholes, Dempster highway south of Eagle River, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC7063 Crashed and rolled vehicle, Dempster highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC4105 Tent site, Grizzly Lake, Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon, Canada.jpg   _DSC4787 The damaged bridge across the Eagle River (damaged by a truck), Yukon, Canada-2.jpg  

_DSC4811 Campfire at the damaged and closed bridge across the Eagle River (damaged by a truck), .jpg   _DSC4793 The damaged bridge across the Eagle River (damaged by a truck), Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC6911 Broken culvert and sinkhole (likely because of loss of permafrost) in Dempster highway .jpg   _DSC7102 Variable Message Sign, Dempster Hwy closed,  Dempster highway, Yukon, Canada-2.jpg   _DSC6909 Broken culvert and sinkhole (likely because of loss of permafrost) in Dempster highway .jpg  

Old 03-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks much Marcel.

I did the Dalton to Deadhorse and part of the Dempster by motorcycle, looking forward to doing it in the van. Definitely will be a no timeline schedule, part of my complaint last trip was we didn't take enough time as the guy I was with had to be back.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:23 PM   #10

Wow.. motorcycle! I know the dust can be pretty awful! How did you deal with that?

Good luck with the upcoming trip. It will be another adventure, for sure! Lots of preparations and thinking ahead reduce the probability of trouble when you are on the road... but I know we also need some good fortune for things to go smooth!

Tags
arctic, dempster, highway, trip