Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #11

We took our 2006 E350 4X4 SMB to the end about 5 years ago.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Eye_Wilber View Post
...Had to get hauled out on the back of a flatbed. Shout out to the guys at cottam auto in Escalate who dropped the van under a tree behind their shop where I camped for three days waiting for a new filter housing. Had a nice time hiking down the river in the beautiful canyon with the dog each day while we waited for the part. Good times!
Not intending for this to steer off topic, but I've always found it interesting to hear how some people deal with adversity, refreshing to read how you (mentally) manipulated your situation...Like the spirit!
Old 04-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

Driving to the end would be more accurate than driving to the bottom since you are several hundred feet above the lake. Scrambling down the hole to the lake for a dip is nice in the warmer months but there is no beach etc.

There are a few small ledges etc to crawl up the last few miles. I drive an RB with an Agile Off Road upgraded suspension, improved Deaver springs and rear airbags. I would not be concerned about any of the technical parts at all.

That said, the washboards can be brutal! There are some great reasons to drive out the road - checking out peekaboo and spooky slots or accessing trailheads into Coyote Gulch for example. The drive to the end is a slog. While scenic the road falls short of breathtaking. There are far nicer locations in the vicinity for a night of camping.
One_Eye_Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #14

I'm mildly amused this thread includes two lost awning incidents. If you haven't already, hit up 1nder for some brackets and ditch the SMB mounting nightmare before it's too late!
Old 04-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #15

Small ledges? This is the one I am concerned about (the header picture):

https://expeditionportal.com/redempt...he-rock-trail/

At least with an EB.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #16

You are confusing the Hole in the Rock Trail which goes for 100s of miles across southeastern Utah with Hole in the Rock Road near Escalate.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

The trail follows the route the Mormon pioneers took through Utah. Hole in the Rock Road goes from near Escalate to the point the pioneers famously blasted through the cliff and lowered the wagons in order to cross the Colorado River in Glen Canyon. The trail does closely mirror the road for several miles. There are some points of interest on the road such as Dance Hall Rock. Still, the road and the trail are not the same thing.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #18

Good info, thanks for sharing.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #19

We haven’t tried that one, but were on the “ Trans Labrador”
Highway (?) some years ago which featured several hundred
miles of insane washboard and some major holes and washouts! Well worth it though. The most beautiful, healthy trout I’ve seen in many years! Basically only one gas stop in
the middle....and the road runs from Goose Bay, Lab. back down into civilization. Well worth the effort if you want “ real”
backcountry! Has anyone else tried this one?
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #20

We were there a couple weeks ago. Went about t miles and turned around. We were towing our 16' dual axle camper. Rattled canine door off the hinges, loosened water pipe joints, etc. Limped back to nearest hardware store. I made repairs while wife booked a spot at the RV park in town. ��

Van itself was fine other than change falling out of tray holders. I have a moto van build with small kitchen up front, partition and cafe in back. 2" spacer lift, billies, 285-75-16 tires.

The trip was about hiking the slot canyons, so we were determined to go back on that damn road. Next day we emptied the van of moto and gear. Aired down to 35. 50 mph was not bad. 20-40mph was horrid.

I can't remember a worse washboard road. There were built jeeps pulled over and people sitting with head in hands. ��

Most of the time we travel with motos but we were with our dog this trip. So couldn't just jump on those.

I do remember on a moto trip in Baja years ago where a small town had a tractor tire they pulled up and down their dirt road for an instant fix.
I was telling the story to my wife and dreaming of the possibility seeing a big tire and chain at the start of the dirt road. We would be happy to pull it out and back if there was one.
I am sure anyone on this forum would to the same.

The last day I explored the area on my moto, crossed CR300 (hole in the Rock rd) and what did I see??!!
Photo attach attempted ��

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpukSQvbhyPdEy3GA
MOTOMINDED is offline   Reply With Quote