Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

TR - 11/5/17 Angeles NF East Blue Ridge

So my buddy was itching to get out and meet up and found some pretty interesting stuff on top of Blue Ridge in the Angeles NF. We were gonna hit up Blue Ridge and Guffy Campgrounds and see what gives. After my usual research I was slightly apprehensive as I am still a novice with the big van on exposed roads, but that's just me being silly.

Arrived at the turn off right above MT High Ski Resort on the 2 right about noon. Weather was blue bird with a little wind. Report was for a chance of rain. Off we went. The road is easy and not that steep with lots of turnouts. 4x4 is not necessary but I used it just to keep good traction and control. 3 miles in you hit Blue Ridge Campground and 3 miles after that, Guffy. We went out but came back to Blue Ridge and set up shop and just hiked around the ridge. Clouds came in and it was certainly an interesting weather night. No rain, but foggy and spooky in the trees.

Next morning we were in a cloud leaving but it ducked below it for some nice views over the Mineral Creek Drainage.

Decided to check out some other campgrounds so I dropped down to Vincent Gap on the 2 and took Big Rock Creek Road. A little spooked here as the van is not small and it was apparent that there is no place to turn around. Luckily the road is fine and nobody came up that first half mile. It drops down to Big Rock Creek and after 4 miles is paved. Easy out back to my place 45 minutes away.

Some very fun roads for a day trip from LA. Easy roads but I gained some confidence dealing with downhill and exposure. Cool weather is here so it's time to explore and get into some mandatory 4x4 trails.

Anyone else get those initial gut checks when you are about to take your expensive van you put tons of time into on sketchy roads?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

Awesome! We camp up at Guffy/Blue Ridge pretty frequently, great spot.

I've never been down Big Rock Creek Road. How far from Vincent Gap do you need to travel before you start seeing good/large pull outs to camp in? Any water in the creek?

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

The First half mile of Big Rock Creek Road is cut into the mountainside and is just like my picture and comes right down to the creek bed and mellows considerably. I was looking for pulloffs around the creek but there was nothing obvious or off the road a ways. But you could probably look around and find some things. 3 miles down is Big Rock Creek Campground and there were some boondocking looking spots in there and I noted them, they are before the actual turnoff to the campground. The wash is not all that wide there. I got out periodically to kind of look around at things and the first I saw water flowing was down by the campground where you cross the creek bed. There are a lot of drainages coming into the main creek and by the time you get down 5 or so miles there is flowing water. I read that it's year round.

That canyon is beautiful. Huge Jeffrey Pines, Oak Trees, Yuccas, Manzanitas, etc. I feel stupid that I have lived in Palmdale for 15 years and never went up that road. Although I have tromped all around it in the punch bowl and hiked Baden Powell. I will for sure head up there soon and take the kids. Even just to hike around the wash and see what there is to see. Might wait til deer season ends though.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

We camped last night just above the official campground. There are definitely some really good camp spots down there. It was really quiet/empty except a few deer hunters roaming around. Definitely a worthwhile spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Awesome!! I might head up in there next week for a night.