Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Garage
Tuktoyaktuk and AK

Anyone heading north this summer?

Right now I plan on meeting a guy with an outfitted Tacoma around Jul 20th between WA and Glacier National Park although this could slip to the right some.

We plan to head north to Tuk in a leisurely fashion and possibly to AK after. The intent is to not rush, and to take time to see and explore. This won't be a scripted trip and is fluid. I just need to be back in VA by the end of Sep.

I have been hesitant to post for a few reasons. One is my van is getting a new reman engine installed as we speak. Been waiting for some time, my van broke down on a trip at the end of April in NC. I expect to get my van back next week, but of course there could be problems.

Anyway, if anyone is going and interested in linking up, let me know.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:10 PM   #2

Cool Chris, wish we could do it this summer! We were getting ramped up for a Western Canada/Alaska trip about when Covid hit and since then life has happened. Hoping to at least get to Canada next summer. We're headed as far as Glacier this year but not able to leave until early August and we don't have time to go any further west.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:56 AM   #3

Garage
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have let life get in the way as well, and fuel prices last year. Been wanting to go back since my 2016 trip and the Roaming Rally in 2018.

Would have been great if you could have made it. I am sure you all will,have a fun trip.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Safe journey! Make sure to plan a stop at Liard hot springs, truly magical.
Eric, you might already know but check out Polebridge, and if you continue north on N Fork Rd, there are some spectacular camp spots you can pull right up to along the north fork river, just outside the park, bring your fly rod
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	47602
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks REF, and yep, been there before.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #6

Garage
We had been planning that trip for this summer but changed plans because we were wary of all the smoke in Canada this year. We experienced a lot of smoke up there in 2015 when we took the ferry up from Prince Rupert. There wasn't smoke on the ferry trip but when we headed home along the Alaska Hwy there was a lot. We had to spend an extra night in Ft Nelson because of a fire crossing the highway just below there. We had to convoy past that spot and didn't get clear of the smoke until we got to Manitoba. We would probably still try to tie into your trip except we're now committed to a family reunion on the 21st. We had first started planning this trip when covid hit and you couldn't easily get into Canada. We started to change our trip this year to Eastern Canada and then they started getting fires there too. I'm so tired of breathing smoke on my western trips and now I get to breathe it at home too.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #7

Garage
Yeah, fires and smoke are a concern. The eastern Canada fire smoke made it down the US east coast as well. Very bad in NoVA/DC.

We may slip it a little to the right. We also won't be in a hurry if you want to catch up.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #8

Garage
My wife is already making plans for a shorter trip around Lake Huron in August so that won't work out anyway. Also, I'm an OLD guy and would probably bore you to death with stories about when you could take off and not need reservations anywhere, even in national park campgrounds. Yeah, I'm that old.
I don't even have 4X4, just a limited slip rear axle, which is probably all I need
now days. I do some forest service roads but nothing too radical.

2014 E 350 EB
5.7L Limited slip, Semi float rear axle

Wish I had found this forum before I bought my van, I would at least have gone for a full float axle and probably 4X4.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:46 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderers View Post
My wife is already making plans for a shorter trip around Lake Huron in August so that won't work out anyway. Also, I'm an OLD guy and would probably bore you to death with stories about when you could take off and not need reservations anywhere, even in national park campgrounds.
Roger that, Roger. . That sounds like a good trip, safe travels.

We will be two old guys as well, maybe not OLD.

Right before Covid I was able to get a site at Rocky Mountain National Park with no reservation in Sep. Not peak season though, during the week. Who know nowadays.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:41 PM   #10

I hope to depart Wa for Alaska early August. I don’t have a schedule since I’m retired 😄
Attached Thumbnails
B671E862-6302-4385-80B0-2DEA0512E04B.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote