Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2023, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Slightly off topic. To the OP does your van have lift blocks? Is that where the axle movement started?
I’ll betray my ignorance and tell you I don’t know if it had lift blocks. It’s a standard 2011 Fresno conversion but I don’t recall a lift beyond the larger wheels. My thought is that the impact of dragging the drive shaft into the road for the distance it took Joyce to stop must have pushed everything around the axle back. I haven’t asked the mechanic what he thinks is damaged and how the damages were caused. Mostly in shock that so much damage came from a slow speed collision.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #12

Those look like the upgrades springs (Deaver or similar) which wouldn't have lift block.

Repair-wise... It should be pretty straightforward... New spring U-bolts & centering pin, new driveshaft (or rebuilt and re-balanced by a driveline shop), replacement 60-40 doors, and pulling out the side panel.

I wouldn't normally expect an axle to shove back like that, but who knows if the U-bolts were torqued to spec properly previously... I don't think SMBs QA process was ever as good as OEM.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Best advice: Watch out for little old lady tourists lost on the Interstate and trying to find their way back.
It was a little old lady that blew through a stop sign and crossed two lanes of traffic to take my E-350 out (i.e. totaled).

Her Toyota Camry redirected my 6000 lbs E-350 90 degrees (I was on the brakes for 2-3 seconds) and she claims to have been going 10 mph (which I doubt).
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Those look like the upgrades springs (Deaver or similar) which wouldn't have lift block.

Repair-wise... It should be pretty straightforward... New spring U-bolts & centering pin, new driveshaft (or rebuilt and re-balanced by a driveline shop), replacement 60-40 doors, and pulling out the side panel.

I wouldn't normally expect an axle to shove back like that, but who knows if the U-bolts were torqued to spec properly previously... I don't think SMBs QA process was ever as good as OEM.
I agree. This seems very fixable. Given that the axle moved the frame was likely spared.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
It was a little old lady that blew through a stop sign and crossed two lanes of traffic to take my E-350 out (i.e. totaled).

Her Toyota Camry redirected my 6000 lbs E-350 90 degrees (I was on the brakes for 2-3 seconds) and she claims to have been going 10 mph (which I doubt).
Seems to be a thing.

Our lady was going around 10 mph because she stopped at the intersection stop sign on the exit from the freeway. It’s surprising how much damage occurs when a small car his a big truck. Leverage?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:23 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I agree. This seems very fixable. Given that the axle moved the frame was likely spared.
Quote:

That’s what our mechanic thought but he hasn’t inspected the vehicle closely or put it on a hoist. The estimator wants a tear down to be sure there is no hidden damage behind the panels since the gas and water lines run along that side. The problem is that the vehicle isn’t driveable so it can’t be moved to a body shop without a tow truck. Or, without fixing the rear end. (It’s been moved at the mechanic’s yard by putting the rear end in neutral and pulling it with the front end.) That appears to be a sticking point in the claim processing with the claims side arguing it’s just additional expense and it should be totaled. Or, so we think.

We’re 2+ months into this and face additional delays for repairs, especially as spring approaches and body shops, etc. get busy. At this point, we’d just as soon get the purchase price payout and move on.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:

That's why I asked about the lift blocks. It seems the axle moved quite a lot and if the axle was mounted directly to the springs that amount of movement seems radical.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
It's done.

The SMB was totaled. We're van-less and working on future options. Not going to include a Field Van Classic--twice what we paid in 2011 and a three-year waitlist. Our Chaser trailer is on the market now if anyone is interested. Here's my forum post. It's a great trailer and a sad additional loss but we're headed towards an overland trailer approach, the Black Series HQ19. Got a 2022 model for half-price and affordable within the insurance settlement.

I'll still hang around the forum. It's been a big part of my life for over a decade and BroncoHauler already set the precedent. Thanks to everyone for your help with this post and all the others over the years.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:31 AM   #19

Man, I hate to hear it Don but it sounds like you've got a good plan to move forward.

Hopefully you will hang around!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote