Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #1

Alternator upgrade info

Edit: no sooner did I post this question, that I saw the other alternator post. I considered removing mine, but I think they are somewhat different questions so I’ll leave it up hoping it’s not too redundant…

It’s time I look into upgrading my alternator. Currently my 2001 5.4 sports a 130amp 3g stock alternator, (I think) which likely is original at 230,000 miles. It’s still working fine, but being a firm believer in proactive maintenance I’d like to source a new one even if I only carry it as a spare for now. While looking at units with a higher output, some say they are a suitable replacement for the stock 3g “if they will physically fit” https://www.dieselsite.com/73alternator.aspx

So, the question I have is, have you installed an upgraded unit, was it a small or large case, how many amps and was it a bolt on instillation? Any links or part numbers would be appreciated too.

I’m aware of the need to upgrade the wiring and possibly add external regulation. So that’s not really a consideration at this point. Thanks in advance……

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #2

Garage
I just installed a new 400amp rated unit from Tucson Alternator (pn 02580463) that has been great so far. They aren't cheap but the performance is top notch even with very heavy load requirements. Keep in mind that with most any increased output unit they will run a smaller pulley to increase operating speeds. This will require a belt that's about 1/2" shorter to tension properly.

Link to product-
https://www.tucsonalternator.com/sea...ID/Alternator/

Link to my install video (2002 E350 v10)-
https://youtu.be/JxiVcEuVdP0

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:54 AM   #3

Interesting thread, thanks! I’ve thought about upgrading the alternator on my 2011 5.4, but haven’t yet researched all the options so am following this. One question: what’s the highest output alternator I can upgrade to without changing wiring, regulation, etc.? In other words, just bolt in and use?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Interesting thread, thanks! I’ve thought about upgrading the alternator on my 2011 5.4, but haven’t yet researched all the options so am following this. One question: what’s the highest output alternator I can upgrade to without changing wiring, regulation, etc.? In other words, just bolt in and use?
Personally I'd limit an alternator upgrade to 140A as the OEM wiring is quite minimal. Even adding a Big 3 grounding and power kit to a low amp alternator allows the system to breathe and perform much better.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Old 08-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks Scott, that is just the info I’m looking for. Since I’ll probably carry it as a spare I’d hate to buy one and find out latter while on a trail that it required additional modifications to install. I’m slowly trying to collect all of the rotating parts on the front of the engine since, if any of them quits it will throw the belt. i’ve already installed a new power steering pump and I have a spare tensioner, and water pump, and having a spare alternator seems to make sense, but what to do if the air conditioning compressor locks up? Carry a shorter belt? I seem to remember you carried a spare alternator too. Now to decide how many amps to upgrade to. Thanks again….
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Thanks Scott, that is just the info I’m looking for. Since I’ll probably carry it as a spare I’d hate to buy one and find out latter while on a trail that it required additional modifications to install. I’m slowly trying to collect all of the rotating parts on the front of the engine since, if any of them quits it will throw the belt. i’ve already installed a new power steering pump and I have a spare tensioner, and water pump, and having a spare alternator seems to make sense, but what to do if the air conditioning compressor locks up? Carry a shorter belt? I seem to remember you carried a spare alternator too. Now to decide how many amps to upgrade to. Thanks again….
I do carry a spare alternator (and starter as well) along with belts. If the AC compressor locks up I suppose having the proper non-ac belt would be good to have as well. I just chose the max alternator output possible as my audio and electrical upgrades seem to require more than I think I need at any given point.

I do also carry spare idlers and a tensioner to make sure the low hanging fruit failures are easy to account for.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Old 08-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I do also carry spare idlers and a tensioner to make sure the low hanging fruit failures are easy to account for.
Wow, thank again, I'd forgotten about the idler pulley, but I just ordered one. As for the starter, I installed a new one a bit ago just to be proactive. The old one worked just fine, and I'd be happy to give it to anyone who could use it. It's out of a 2001 5.4
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-18-2023, 02:25 PM   #8

Chiming in here - I've got a 130 amp alternator in my 2002 E350 - V10 -- and thinking about swapping out for a 250 amp Tucson. How much larger wire size would I need to go and would I need to "add" any other device (monitor, etc. ?) if I do this swap ? Details ? Thanks --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Chiming in here - I've got a 130 amp alternator in my 2002 E350 - V10 -- and thinking about swapping out for a 250 amp Tucson. How much larger wire size would I need to go and would I need to "add" any other device (monitor, etc. ?) if I do this swap ? Details ? Thanks --
You can do this swap with nothing more than a Big 3 kit to optimize the capabilities. The original wiring is quite small (maybe 8g) and would be a limiting factor without one. I do sell these kits through Vantage Optics but I'm not here to promote that specifically. Basically you want to add a power cable from the alternator to the battery and then from the battery ground to the engine block and then the engine block to the chassis. I use 2/0 cable in the kits and this is generally overkill, but it's enough to efficiently transfer the charge and grounding duties properly.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Old 08-18-2023, 03:13 PM   #10

Russ, The Big 3 grounding & power kit is 1/0 cable that should support your upgraded alternator. I am pretty sure when you check out on the Tucson site they offer the upgrade at a discount. The 250 amp model also does not use the smaller pully so the existing size belt should work.

It could be possible if you have a diode based isolator, that you would need to upgrade to an ACR, and also upgrade that cable path.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote