Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #11

I have NO idea why pictures always get reoriented on this damn forum...

PDXDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
Since I originally posted this, I removed the antenna mounts and fabricated a proper set that do not require the wedge shaped shim. At the same time I moved them down the fender to get farther from the van body. I also upped the nut-sert size from 10/32 to 1/4"
The whole thing works better now and is much more solid.
So my current CB antenna mount is a pre formed stainless steel gizmo that looks a lot like what you have set up, just no NMO mount bur rather the standard 3/8-24 mount CB antennas (and 10 meter etc... ) use...

I can dimple the metal and poke holes for the nutserts, but cutting and shaping it not so good. I don't suppose you'd be interested in fabbing up another one of your passenger side mounts to sell at a reasonable rate would you?

Quote:
The nut-serts and associated tool came off the Snap-On truck probably 25 years ago, but you can get nut-serts on Amazon as well as a very good Marson tool for installing them, if you don't have one.
I answered my own question. Not a tool I will use a lot, but as I move forward with the rebuild. I want to redo the interior properly, I.E. remove the sheet metal screws in favor of machine screws for the interior cabinets etc... So I got one on the way.

https://amzn.to/3PRgx97

Also picking up a large assortment to get my started of both SAE and Metric rivnuts in stainless steel. I suspect 10-24 and 1/4-20 are going to be my 2 most common size choices though. Those SAE sizes from that assortment sure don't look like stainless steel to me though...

https://amzn.to/3J70Ir9

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:19 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
I have NO idea why pictures always get reoriented on this damn forum...
Not only this forum.

If you hold the phone horizontally with the lens on the left when you take a photo or slightly crop the photo before posting, the photos should post correctly.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:26 AM   #14

I might add that the bracket that’s held down by a fender bolt has never moved even though there is just one bolt holding it. A 102 inch whip might be a different story though.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I might add that the bracket that’s held down by a fender bolt has never moved even though there is just one bolt holding it. A 102 inch whip might be a different story though.
One major reason for the rivnuts. Secure the Y axis... that 102 is a beast.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:44 AM   #16

I also recommend having Plus Nuts in the arsenal of fastener solutions. I like them better than rivnuts in many cases especially on thinner metal due to a bit more latitude in the drilled hole and the four fingers grabbing on the back. Depending on the tool being used, many times only a slightly longer mandrel is required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9314.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	50273
Old 04-07-2024, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I also recommend having Plus Nuts in the arsenal of fastener solutions. I like them better than rivnuts in many cases especially on thinner metal due to a bit more latitude in the drilled hole and the four fingers grabbing on the back. Depending on the tool being used, many times only a slightly longer mandrel is required.

Attachment 50273
I've seen fasteners like that for drywall, this is the first I have seen them for sheet metal. Pretty cool. Yes it will give you a much larger "bite" behind whatever you are fastening to...
Old 04-07-2024, 03:42 PM   #18

Good thing I don't need that rivnut tool today. Amazon says it was shipped, scheduled for delivery by 9:00 P.M. It is already 4:40 P.M. and not yet on vehicle for delivery... Sure it is gonna be here by 9...
Old 04-07-2024, 04:09 PM   #19

Yep AMZN delivery projections when purchasing have become absolute BS. Delivery pushes out days (multiple delays) from what they 'promise', it has become the norm.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:14 PM   #20

Well, it is funny, they usually won't say delivery by blah unless it is in the local warehouse. I don't get ANY activity info on this. I think their system glitched.