Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

My fantastic fan is mounted pretty much right behind the front seats, in the center. It doesn't make any wind noise, but then again it's a different shape than the Maxair. As for effectively removing cooking odors, it's so powerful that despite not being directly over the stove, it easily pulls steam and odors out. I also have one opening window in a rear door, and when open with the fan on high, there is quite a breeze across the bed. No matter the location, these fans move a lot of air and can change 100% of the air in the van very quickly. Best of luck............

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #12

All very good things to consider! I chose the Maxxair for several reasons but I hear that its a bit quieter than the Fantastic. In either position, its pretty close to where my head is when sleeping (I tend to sleep with feet towards the back on a folding bench seat, RB50-style). Shouldn't be a noise issue on the lower settings.

The middle spot (A) should allow room for two solar panels up front. I will at times have longboards on the roof off to one side so I will likely design my solar setup to be modular. For snow trips I can have two up front and a cargo bin and additional storage in the back. For surf trips I can have longboards on the passenger side and panels on driver side front and back.

If I did the further back (B) position, I don't think I can fit a solar panel in the back lengthwise. So thats one more push towards the "A" placement.
thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #13

Greetings - Yup on the interior moisture generated by sleeping, exhaling, etc. Years ago I rented a station wagon to go into a Nat Park in Alaska for some photography. It was mid August. i knew it could get cold at night but I had a zero degree sleeping bag - long johns, etc., and electric electric windows. I woke the next morning early - and WHOA - the inside of all windows were frosted - when I started the engine to thaw things out - I hit the window switch - and I heard the "rrrr" of the window motor and then it stopped and the window didn't move even a centimeter ! All the doors were frozen shut - I was literally trapped - I couldn't even kick them open ! It took almost 20 minutes before the car doors could finally open. From then on when camping in cars or tents or even my Sportsmobiles (2) I always cracked 2 windows opposing each other for cross ventilation.

I agree - get a remote controlled 3-way fan to exhaust and intake - remote so you don't have to hunt for the switch in the dark - and sleep with the remote - and extra batteries !
Russ Gutshall is offline   Reply With Quote