Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #31

Re: Penthouse Install - Fresno SMB (not optimal)

This is the sequence I use to lower the top:

- With Van leveled, Bed on rails, not attached to top

- Open side door

- Bring top down to 'Balance Point'

- Close door, open 1 window slightly (Pivot open window on side (barn) door

- Tuck in canvas at front

- Tuck in canvas at rear

- Pull down on rear latch and let top settle

- Latch rear

- Close window

- Check top is centered, either in mirrors or open side door and check

- Center top if needed

- Latch front

Having one window open a little and letting the top settle gently seems to help mine self center. Still, at least 20% of the time I have to adjust it side to side a little.

Having said that, your top should come down evenly on both sides. If it doesn't, the springs are not properly adjusted. You can either try adjust it (see earlier links) or go back to Sportsmobile and see what they can/will do. If you are not happy with the answer, talk to Alan or Liz and see if they tell you it is normal.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #32

And BTW, don't bother with the HarborFreight cargo bars; they weren't sturdy enough.

I use one I got at Home Depot. I put the base on a step stool I use for the side door and it only takes a minute or two to get it far enough up that an easy shove finishes it. And the bar comes in handy for securing stuff inside on rough roads. Probably less than $20.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
And BTW, don't bother with the HarborFreight cargo bars; they weren't sturdy enough.

I use one I got at Home Depot. I put the base on a step stool I use for the side door and it only takes a minute or two to get it far enough up that an easy shove finishes it. And the bar comes in handy for securing stuff inside on rough roads. Probably less than $20.
Was just there and spotted them:
http://m.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-A ... reId=10051

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #34

FWIW we adjusted the top bar tension so that the roof is relatively easily raised in the first section. Lowering it I have to essentially hang from the top, my wife is too light. Makes for some humor when she is swinging and pulling down on the top, only sometimes succeeding if there are some added rooftop items.

What this adjustment does is make the raising easier, allows for some roof carrying add on weight, and makes the soft sides tension greater when raised. When windy top tension helps keep the sides more stable, and it seems easier to lower with the greater tension position than having to push up with greater effort. Takes a bit of tinkering, but adjusting the spring tension is not that big of a deal.
Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #35

When you say "top bar tension," which part do you mean? Is that the "main" springs that need the tension taken off to adjust them, or the "helper" springs that are not under tension when the top is up?

The other day while lying on the couch I was looking up at the top and mulling it over. I do think the pickup-truck ratchet bar is a good idea; but since I don't have one yet, the gears were still turning in my mind (I tend to stare at the ceiling when lying on the couch).

I started to wonder if I could set some sort of bar across from ledge to ledge near the front of the PH (around where the handles are to pull the top down) and then use a lever from that to the reinforced part of the top (where the handles are). Then I'd be pulling down and could even use a webbing loop to step in and just let my weight start the top on its way up. It might even stow along the ledge when not in use. (Possibly could even use a high-tech line across instead of a board or angle, although that would require attachments that could take the tension. Still, it would take up "no" space and could be left in place.)

I'll probably make a mock-up and see why it won't work and hasn't already been done But.... will be easy enough to try. I'll report back.

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #36

Good thread. My wife and I purchased a 2004 Sportsmobile in 2008. It was in great shape and we have enjoyed it thoroughly. 6 months ago we decided to keep it indefinatley instead of selling it and getting a newer one. It has the manual penthouse on it. With just a Thule rack and Thule box on the top, I can still raise and lower it fairly easily. But if the box has a table, chairs, barbeque grille, etc in it, I can't raise it. We looked into adding the electric option to our existing top, and the cost seemed too much for what we were willing to pay. Fast forward to this summer. The gelcoat in our top has failed badly, to the point that it is leaking. In talking to Sportsmobile, we were going to have it refinished with their new Raptor finish. However, our top was so bad, that their person that does the Raptor wouldn't do ours. Sooo, we decided to bite the bullet and have a complete new top installed. To finally get to the point, with a new top the price for the electric option was reasonable so we are having the electric option added to our Sportsmobile. Getting back to the original poster's thoughts about the cost of adding the electric option to an existing manual top, there is a lot of labor involved. More labor that installing a manual top, because you have to uninstall the manual top, then reinstall the top with the new hardware and motors. Also the top bed has to be modified to clear the motors. Since we were installing a whole new top, the costs are less because we were already quoted for taking off the existing top and replacing it with a new one. In fact, I am driving to Fresno tomorrow to have it done. They will start on Monday, November 12th, and because of the work involved, they probably won't have it done until after Thanksgiving.

I am looking forward to the new top. Currently, if we are on the road we don't raise the top unless we are going to be in the same place for several days because we have to unload the Thule box. With the electric option, we can raise it anytime we wish, as it will raise everything we have on the roof. Can't wait to try it out.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #37

oclv ,
Be sure to get the weight limits for the Electric Top and then get it again from a second person at SportsMobile , we received two different ratings from the time we ordered and the final delivery and they amounted to a substantial difference of ( one hundred twenty pounds ) They finally settled on 220 lbs. with the fully floored /catwalked Aluminess Rack . I never exceed even half of that weight when opening .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #38

Yeah, that sounds what Peter mentioned.......220 +/- pounds, not counting the top itself. For the most part, I will be under 80 pounds (racks, Thule box, barbeque grille, aluminum folding table, a couple folding chairs, and mat). If we also put a bike or Kayak up there we would be still under 125 pounds. Stu and Peter discouraged me from moving the folding corner braces to the new top. They were willing to do it, but pointed out that they are not necessary with the electric top, and it would be detrimental if I tried to lower the top with the corner braces in the support position. Dropped the Sportsmobile off this morning.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #39

Not to mentioned that there was nothing of substance to mount them to in our Electric Penthouse , I had them installed a couple of years after purchase and had the first two opened in the front tear out
of the ceiling , one on opening and the other on closing . A waste of $180.00 , perhaps they function better when installed on a new build ! Incidentally I was never told that they were not needed on the Electric Penthouse's .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #40

My old SMB isn't worth the money to spend $3,500 on but my old back feels the stress not to mention the compression on my back disks when I try to raise the roof.

A couple of years ago I was fooling around trying to get the top up with out pushing it up. I'm not recommending this method just sharing what I do. Found an old car jack in the garage, the kind with the handle attached. Cut a broom handle to length and hollowed out a half sphere shape in a short piece of 2x4. About 60 half cranks gets the top raised past the hard part so a gentle push lets the springs pull it up. This is WITH the bed attached to the top. The whole process take about 2 minutes. I know, again I''m not recommending this way, but the worst that has ever happened in two years is the 10 inch length of 2x4 fell on my foot. Stores easy too.

Total cost $0.00 (wife still is wondering what happen to her old broom)

I understand they make 12v electric car jacks. Hmmmm

Terry
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote