Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #71

Re: SMB's solution for awning cracks

I have had several request for a new batch of brakets. I have recived PM'S from the following;
Surfgeek
unschooling3boys
wildhare
woot
skywagon
ruggedjeep
professorpaddle
angel
and, last bout not least, Jage

If you are all "for sure" then I will put together a second order. If others are in, then PM or reply to the post. They, as of today, are still $180 per set.

Current owners of the brakets, could you please post pictures for us all to see. Also, I recently removed the set of "new" brackets that I was running, and put on my "original" set, so that another lucky member could get a set. I was running just the bracket without any rubber boot, and I noticed slight breakdown of the clear coat. I would recomend some sort of rubber backing. The original Fiamma brackets had a rubber boot. If anyones knows were to get somthing like these, please post.

Current owners are as follows if anyone has questions of them and how the brackets are working for them. Some have bent the brakets slightly for more clerance. Please responded as to how they are holding up.

natank
mjeffrey
mtbgary
pjpvi
jammyauto
adventureduo
msponer
whitewhale

Thanks for your support, and I hope to see you on the trail.

Eli

Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #72

I just added a couple pics to my gallery of the awning and brackets. I'll try to get some better pics too but so far these are great. No bending was needed on mine. The clearance is minimal but the top clears the hardware.
I also used a rubber backing between the brackets and van. I found them from a company that supplies VW awning brackets located in Santa Barbara. Trying to find the name and link, so I'll update the post when I find the info.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #73

I'll take some pics of mine and post them soon. I didn't bend mine, but I do need to manually shift the top out towards the driver's side when raising and lowering, so that I don't catch the brackets. The first few times up and down, I managed to pull the rubber gasket off of the top. I'd bend the brackets if I knew how!

I used adhesive-backed butyl rubber, from McMaster-Carr, against the paint.

Has anyone using the brackets had problems with clearance on the front door? The top of my door scrapes the bracket a great deal, to the point that I can't use the front passenger door with the brackets installed. Eli, I kept meaning to follow up with you about this, but it's been busy around here My door is square in the opening. Suggestions?

I do like the brackets, despite these two issues, and they held up well on my last trip, ~2500 miles. Mine are installed on an RB window van, in case anyone with this setup is wondering about compatibility.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #74

Quote:
Has anyone using the brackets had problems with clearance on the front door? The top of my door scrapes the bracket a great deal, to the point that I can't use the front passenger door with the brackets installed.
The front bracket from SMB use to scrape the door, but I have plenty of clearance with Eli's brackets.

I did bend my brackets out. It was a bit of a pia to do it with a series of clamps and such and had to re-paint them when done. I probably bent them more than I needed to, but they work fine now.

I cut up an old bike tube and used for protection between the bracket and the van. So far this seems to be working fine. I also used a piece of aluminum (1/8" I think) to 1) cover the holes from the old bracket and 2) make for flush mounting of the rear bracket where the van body steps in a little.

I've abused the van in Death Valley, Canyon Lands and other shorter trips with the new brackets and haven't had any problems. I still feel the need for a third bracket as the Fiamma awnings are heavy, but like I said .... no sign of problems yet.

There are some pictures buried in my album somewhere.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #75

Re: SMB's solution for awning cracks (and Eli's custom brackets)

Mjeffrey,

The only solution that I can offer is to remove the awining and re-install the front bracket, ensuring that it is in fact all the way up against the roof line/ b pillar and that it is centered, or slightly to the rear of center on the b pillar. When installed correctly, you should have 1/8 to 1/4 inch of clearance. hope that helps.

Eli
Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #76

Hey Eli,
How many total do you need before you place an order? I'm in reguardless....I'm thinking about going to Line-X to have them coat base of the penthouse & wrap the drip rails. The brackets should still fit, don't ya think?
Thanks Woot.............
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #77

Garage

Hey Eli,
You'll have to count me out on a set of brackets.I went ahead and got a set from Fiamma that I am going to modify.Sorry but I have to have this awning on this weekend as we are going on vacation.
Thanks,Keith
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #78

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Be aware of the SMB mounted awnings. Just had a big problem with them last week. Stay tuned.....going to post the incident in brand new post. May have to buy a new awning, new mounts, and some body work on our 11 month old Van!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #79

Eli

I'd like to place an order for a set of brackets. If it matters, I've got an F45 10 footer on a 1995 Ford.

Any ETA on the next batch?

Thanks

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #80

Not being pushy or anything like that.....just wondering if I should put my old brackets back on if it's going to be a while.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote