Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
evy

Airbag light on (passenger)

Passenger air bag connector must have been stretched by the passenger swivel seat, the airbag light stays on.
I've tried everything, wiggle it, clean it, added dielectrique grease, etc... nothing seamed to work so I cut the connector off and connected the 2 wires directly.
I did all of this with the negative wire on the battery disconnected (over 15min) and the airbag light stays on.
I have a basic OBD2 scanner that reads a B1213(13) code that seams to be linked to the airbag light and the seatbelt buckle pretensioner.
I don't have a lot of experience in automobile fixin so I'm not very comfortable with deleting codes on my OBD2 scanner, I'm afraid of messing up the ECU.

I read that when you fix the problem you have to go to a dealer to clear the code, can anyone confirm?

Can it be a simple dirty Seatbelt buckle?

Thanks for any help!
(Ford E250 2010 V8 5.4L)

Old 11-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #2

Just delete the code...if it's not fixed the code will come back next time you start/drive the van.

If you've fixed the problem and haven't deleted the code...the code will persist....

If the problem is fixed, the code won't come back.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:45 AM   #3

You say you "cut the connector off and connected the two wires directly."

I am not clear what was done ..... did you cut the whole connector off(both sides) and then connect the two wires from seat together and two wires from the floor together, or did you cut the connector out (both sides) and connected the wires together in the same path the connector provided?

I guess what is throwing me is the "two wires" since my thought is there are four wires - a pair from the seat and a pair from the harness on the floor connected through the male and female connector housing.

Anyways - The circuit runs through a pyro device attached via a short thick cable to the seat belt buckle (inboard part of the seat belt) The OBD2 system is looking for a 1.7-2.75 ohms reading in that circuit in wire set attached to the seat itself. The two wires in the seat go to the pyro tensioning device connector. The device in the pic below shows two wires where the seat side wire set goes.

Disconnect the seat wires set from the floor harness and measure the resistance across those two seat side wires. A reading outside the proper range will indicate the pyro device is not functional and thus will display the airbag light and Error Code 1213. If the reading is within spec then the problem is most likely in the wire connections.

If you watch the airbag light when you first switch on the ignition it should start to flash four times, pause, then seven times. This represents 47 - this is also an indicator of what is causing the error - 47 is the light flashing code for the passenger seat pretensioner out of spec. Any other light flashing sequence points to a different error source per the chart below.

The seat belt buckle ITSELF has no electrical connection on the PASSENGER side. The DRIVER side buckle does have a switch in it since failure to latch the driver belt will flash the fasten seat belt light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7967.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	49150

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	49149

This thread should be helpful:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ner-30842.html