Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Starcool Condenser Dropdown Mechanism?

Has anybody considered installing a track or slide mechanism that would allow you to unlock and lower the Starcool condenser and fan unit when parked / camping? After reviewing the system it seems to me that the clearance in front of the condenser is limiting the heat dissipation and affecting the cooling. This would also allow you to install a cover to protect the condenser from mud, rocks etc. and could be removed easily when lowered. I plan on doing some performance (temp) tests but was curious if anyone has made something similar.

And before you say it, of course raising the unit back up prior to driving off would be important and added to the departure checklist. We will fabricate a “Raise Starcool Before Departure” or something similar flag for steering wheel, windshield or ignition, etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

Re: Starcool Condenser Dropdown Mechanism?

I just had the joy of dropping the condenser/fan unit last week when I was replacing both my Starcool fans. What a pain! All the bolts were rusted out and made it very challenging to remove. I ended up having to grind off the screws (Phillips head) that held the fan to the fan shroud, and the mounting bracket bolts were no picnic either.

I've always been surprised that there is no steel protection for the condenser unit. The PO of my van obviously hit something with it, because the fan shroud was cracked (I fixed it with epoxy) and the condenser itself is dinged at the bottom.

Anyway, I'm no AC expert, but I don't think the hassle involved with dropping the unit down every time you want to use it would be worth any marginal gain in performance. My guess is it wouldn't help much, if at all.

That being said, I think you could rig it up somewhat easily with a beefy hinge on one end and some sort of bolt/removable pin setup on the other side so that it tilts down on one end. The AC lines will limit you from dropping it down too far.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote