Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #721

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Got to take a couple of items off my list this last weekend. The problem is that list keeps getting longer.
Added a secure and permanent dog leash attachment point on the passenger side. Realized I should also have one on the drivers side as well.

Cutdown down one of my old camping boxes, that I used when I camped in our Chrysler mini van, into a step that can be used for storage. I think it is large enough to store the Coleman Perfectflow grille that I am going to get. This actually works so well that I am going to make one for the rear doors.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #722

Worked on penthouse top "corner droop" and modified my penthouse top four corner supports.

Have seen several pictures showing penthouse ceiling luan sagging in the corner area. My front drivers side was sagging, indeed from the outside I could stick a finger in the gap between the penthouse canvas and fiberglass top at that corner.

First thing I discovered was that all screws SMB put in that corner were stripped and not holding anything. I removed them and noted that they were nothing more than 5/8" self drilling sheetmetal screws. I made a little display with one of the screws and several screws I was thinking about replacing this screw style with. [ the dispay does not factor in the canvas that is sandwished in at the corners .. but I used some aluminum coated bubble wrap to model a 'typical' joint].

At best the self tapping sheetmetal screws were getting 1-2 threads into the roof plywood.

There are several styles of penthouse tops in use so each should be looked at individually. Mine SMB-I top is of a 5 plywood strip design where strips 1, 3, 5 are 3/4" thick. Strips 2 and 3 are thinner.

I repaired mine with a 1" no. 8 sheetmetal screw with a washer under the head to made sure I did not poke the outer penthouse fiberglass surface.

Worked on my penthouse roof supports. My original design used tight fitting rods and let friction hold them in place. Worked most the time BUT not all the time. This time I screwed a little receiver cup to the under side of the top to trap the support rods. The pockets in the cups and bottom pad are set to just keep the top up snugly.

There really is no storage issue with the loss parts in that they store on the window ledge by where they are used. The upper cups have an added bonus in that they help counter act corner droop.

stored position for when lowering the penthouse top.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #723

Good job Len!

I like the demo for screw length.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #724

Not exactly today but, this:
Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #725
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Umm...is that a busted original shock mount?!

I removed the original SMB(quigley) shock mounts that were welded up angle pieces so they were able to use the original shocks, I had welded up new shock mounts that eliminated the angle and anything hanging below the rear axle. Cleaned it up a bit under there and they are much stronger mounts. Don't have a pic, but I could post one up, I got the mounts through 4wheelparts.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #726

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Today I put this box in the space that was left behind this door, when I pulled the propane system out.

Now I have more storage, yahoo!
Still have to drill some drain holes.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #727

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

After about a month, I finished the 30k service on my rig--can't rush these things. Today I replaced the fuel filters and changed the gear oil with Amsoil.

Replacing the secondary fuel filter caused an acid flashback to my days working on Porsches. Reminded me of 930's where upon opening the hood, there doesn't seem to be anything resembling an engine there:

Had to remove the PS reservoir bracket, intake tube and upper intercooler hose to get to the filter. Fun though.

That and $140 worth of gear oil and we're set for a while.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #728

- painted a bunch of POR-15 on rear of chassis (yes my arm has almost healed)
- installed RHF Bushwhacker. Old front flares had been cut to clear old front Road Armor bumper. Waiting for touch up paint to dry before putting on LHF Bushwhacker.
- reconnected trailer wiring harness (will post pics in hitch thread, turned out very neat)
- wired up reversing/work lights in Aluminess, had to replace ground wires too. For some reason this was a big job, probably because I'm fussy about wiring quality/neatness
- wired up license plate light on Aluminess
- wired up Hella reversing warning beeper, this has to run from reverse wire in tail lights, because SMB has an overide switch to power just the work/reversing lights, and you don't want the beeper coming on with that
- found a bunch of mouse crap under the LH taillight, in the insulation, cleaned it out, will replace insulation later, plugged mousy access hole from below
- sold my old Reunel bumper to Andrew
- drained the rear diff, ready for the Mag Hytec cover, fluid was pretty clean, bolts rusty, so assuming this was original fluid and hasn't had too much hard use

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #729
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Flushed, and Sanitized the Water Tank and refilled halfway. Everything works. I for some reason decided not to use it or fill it and instead use bottled waters on local trips, but after playing with it again, decided I need it and want a new outdoor shower setup as a must have.

Re-Sanded and Repainted the Main Solar panel aluminum rails that the panels are bolted too. Paint was flaking off due to the bad job I did initially. Paint stickes to smooth aluminium rails much better if they are sanded down.

Started a new solar tree (charger + 20Watt Solar Panel). Currently now charging the startup batteries. Complements as backup to the house battery solar setup. Recommended if your SMB is parked and not hooked up to shore power.

Finally but sadly removed all Sportsmobile stickers. Side stickers and Penthouse Back stickers. To much of an attention getter and prefer the steathly mode now. Comments from others before "Oh Sportsmobile", now it's "WTF is that!?" or just no comment.

Old Pic of Solar Panel Rail I was talking about that was repainted:
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #730

Well, since my 5year/100k warranty is now out, and I didn't see point in spending $$ to extend it. I decided to delete the whole problematic EGT crap. On an 06 this will throw an MIL error, and the only way to get rid of that is to use a SCT tune. With the SCT tuner I decided it was best to also delete the exhaust cat. So after all these changes and the SCT tow tune in the van, is runs like a "raped ape", it absolutely flys now. This had me very worried that SCT had just increased the boost pressure or my EGT were way to hot. So I installed a real Boost and EGT gauge (since the boost on the scanguage is close to worthless).

I decided to mount the gauges by the rear view mirror.

I've been very happy to see that the boost never goes passed 25psi (so that's normal and SCT didn't increase it), and EGT is 800 under normal driving, 1100 is the max I managed to get it to. So that has made me feel a lot better about the SCT tune. Plus the increase in MPG and better shift & TC lockup doesn't hurt. Overall I'm very impressed with the SCT tune, up to 3/4 throttle everything is about the same, but the last 1/4 on the throttle pedal really wakes the van up, it's like driving a 6.0 in the truck now, and not the lethargic lump it used to be.

I had always shy'ed away from these modification, but after talking with enough PSD mechanics that say it's the best thing for these engines, it's one of those things I wished I had done a long time ago.
I have only tried the SCT "tow tune" which is +50hp, I have yet to try the "Street tune" +100hp or the "performance tune" +150hp.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote