Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #3411

Garage
After getting the Van back from the shop where all fluids & filters were changed out using Amsoil & they installed my Up-Down-Air Gen II System w/regulated outlets all 4 corners of bumpers, I felt energized and made a list of the yearly maint. items I was going to knock out.
Soooo, today a launched into it; Cleaned both Awning & Pop-Top canvas, & applied 303 fabric guard to both. Cleaned Pop-Top Windows with 303 Clear Vinyl Protective Cleaner, Lubed zippers on the windows, and greased necessary areas of the pop-top mechanicals & cross bar channels.
Unfortunately, the list remains incomplete - my mind (and body) forced me to surrender ... ... dropped that "age has caught up with you" bomb. I'll continue my advance another day.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #3412

Adjusted PH Lift Spring Tension.

Finally got around to doing it. PH top got difficult to lift after adding the rooftop solar panel about seven years ago. Yes, procrastinated! LOL. Used the chain rachet which I already have so didn’t need to buy the HF come along. Shortened the chain by 2 links only. BTW the lift assist spring has 1 3/8” wood block spacer on the driver’s side, but none on the opposite side. So I also added that.
Now it’s working perfect I’d say. Thanks to this forum, and especially Larrie.
RonB.
Vindisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #3413

Installed the RunCool Louvres I purchased 4 years ago

Somethings just get put aside. The clearcoat finally looked so bad I did the louvres and Raptor lined the hood. I used U-Pol Desert Tan, a bit off from the Baja Tan but the van is pushing 20 years old so I'm just not as fussy anymore plus I will be re-doing the roof and penthouse which has a failed 12 year Line-X coating. These were the 3M tape louvres, no rivets. Fingers crossed they hold. They do not seem to be available on the website anymore. I did a slanted outboard mount thinking I would maximize the opening. After a short drive around town I had a 120 degree hood and 155 degree vents so thinking its a success for moving engine compartment air out.
Attached Thumbnails
359085459_2469743986540430_753304956567058379_n.jpg  
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:49 PM   #3414

I just buttoned up my '08+ front brake conversion on my '98 2wd. I know others have reported rust issues with Powerstop drilled & slotted rotors, but I went with their Z36 Truck/Tow brake package (red powder coated calipers/brackets, drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads.) I ended up having a local shop make longer braided stainless lines while I was at it.

I just got back from a test drive to bed in the brakes, and the difference in stopping power/distance is quite significant. There's not a very noticeable difference in casual stop & go traffic, but when I stand on the pedal, it STOPS! Now my van stops like a car, instead of a bus. I used to say "the only thing worse than my van's acceleration is its deceleration" but I suppose that no longer applies!

All in, cost came out just North of $1200 including tax, shipping (which was significant, these things are HEAVY), the core charge for the calipers/brackets that I'm eating (return shipping would cost about the same as the core, not that my cores are correct anyway), wheel bearings (the hubs already had races pressed in, so I didn't actually need to buy those), grease, brakleen, brake fluid, and custom brakelines. A little more than I anticipated, but I think it's justified.

I also rebuilt my rear drum brakes, but intentionally left the adjusters a touch on the loose side for the test drive so I could really feel what the new front brakes are doing. I'll readjust them now and things should get even better.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:51 PM   #3415

Mine is an oldie with parts that shouldn't go together so...

1 wire dummy light harness clip that should not exist on a 93 broke, swapped out for a new one. No clue what it goes to in full honesty. Need to ID my alternator to see what I can do about upsizing it. Pretty sure this is a high amp alternator as when it charges DC to DC the needle doesn't even budge, but I am worried about when the alternator fails which they do...

Tossed a memory foam mattress topper on the bed as the factory cushions are torture. Made the bed with some nice flannel sheets. Tossed in my backpacking pillows (Therm A Rest compressible pillows) which allow me to get my head very close to the outside wall and give me enough clearance for my feet fully stretched out.

Dumped and rinsed the black tank in the port o potty. A little shocked at how much was in there as I only used it for 2 days. Length between dumps might end up being a problem here...

Replaced the OE grille as it was cracked, badly sun faded and in general looked like what I dumped out of that toilet. Installed an eBay billet grille. Major improvement looks wise.

Ordered a back door spare tire carrier so I can relocate the spare. Took out the laundry from my 4 day camping trip last weekend. realized since I wasn't home my laundry is a bit backed up...

Will likely empty the fridge and turn it off after this week, I have some local travel I am doing and then it is back to work and don't need perishables in the van through the work week...

I have upcoming projects, lots and lots of upcoming projects...

Upcoming steps will be relocate the spare, build a custom battery box and relocate the battery bank under the van (with thermostatically controlled heater pads), upgrade the 1993 AM/FM Stereo Casette with blown speakers to an infotainment system with the whole nine yards, including rearview cam etc... and some upgraded speakers I have yet to decide on... Probably hit up Crutchfield on Friday... Install LED light pods to the hood / cowl and wire them in. Install new stainless steel tubular running boards. Another ebay find from a brand I have used before. Hunter Truck Accessories. They are nowhere near as low hanging as the full length aluminum ones that were on the van when I bought it, the bottom of the tubes is just below the bottom of the StarCool so it should protect that somewhat.

I have an exhaust manifold problem I think. When I get on it, the thing is loud, but cruising just sounds like a normal straight six... After the holidays I am sending it back to the shop to get that fixed, new AC compressor installed and StarCool looked at, and will try to talk the shop into doing the gasoline heater install as I don't want to drop the gas tank in my driveway...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM   #3416

My in-laws bought me a set of IPCW LED tail lights (ruby red) for Christmas so I installed those along with a pair of LED reverse lights. The tail lights are brighter from behind, but maybe not as visible from the sides. The reverse lights are much brighter.

While I was at it, I decided to replace the 3rd tail light that has not worked in the 10+ years I've owned my van. I've suspected it was a player in the water intrusion I've had at the back of the van anyway, so a fresh gasket and non-cracked lens (just some fine spider cracks) were worth a shot. I picked up a new Ford 3rd tail light lens and LED lights to go in it. Install should have been about 1 minute, but the rivnuts spun in their holes and turned into a big fiasco. I ended up drilling them out and stepping up in size (barely) from the factory M4 screws to 8-32 knurled steel rivnuts and stainless screws. I don't drive behind myself often to see if they're more attention grabbing, but hopefully all the nice new lights will help grab texter's attention on the road.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:22 AM   #3417

dbhosttexas -- what problems with StarCool ? Mine is working fine - blowing 58 deg on mid fan setting. BUT - I'd be grateful if you could keep any StarCool issues and fixes posted please or via PM - as mine is 2002 vintage and NO ONE knows what they are around here (GA). Thanks and good luck !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:19 PM   #3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
dbhosttexas -- what problems with StarCool ? Mine is working fine - blowing 58 deg on mid fan setting. BUT - I'd be grateful if you could keep any StarCool issues and fixes posted please or via PM - as mine is 2002 vintage and NO ONE knows what they are around here (GA). Thanks and good luck !
Just saw your comment, sorry about the delay. The blower simply would not blow. CAVEAT. Most of my 12v system was completely bonged out when I got the van. The fuses appeared to be original and were seriously crudded out. I took some contact cleaner and cleaned up the fuse panel and chucked fresh fuses in there, and at least on 12v it seems to be working fine. Or at least the blower is blowing now. It's been winter so kind of hard to troubleshoot an AC system right now.

I have the Powermax 45 amp Lifepo4 compatible converter arriving tomorrow, once that is installed I will try out my Starcool on shore power.

To catch folks up. I added a dual USB charging / power port to the back panel over the rear cargo doors, and ran a set of RGB LED strip lights around the entirety of the lower portion of the vans ceiling. Planning on doing the same for the penthouse roof as well. Great lighting when the brightness of the OE fixtures is not needed, at a massively reduced power draw.

Picked up a Kidde RV fire extinguisher, trying to figure out where to install that, but at least it is IN the van.

Got the CB radio rig finalized. As happy as I can be with it given the restrictions imposed by the bodywork of the van. Radio is a President McKinley II FCC AM/FM/SSB with WX, antenna system is a FireStik FireRing fitting equipped RG58A/U coax and mount coupled through a stainless steel van fender channel mount, a stainless steel 6" barrel spring and a salvaged Radio Shack 102" stainless steel whip antenna. To say it is ridiculous is an understatement, but the SWR is dead perfect, and even though it is very directional due to the corner mounting, I can fairly reliably talk about 10 miles or so on legal power and no skip.

I am considering moving my pair of Chins 200 amp hour Lifepo4 batteries into my pickup camper build like I had originally bought them for, and replacing them in the van with a single 400 amp hour Chins with their smart BMS. Dimensions are almost identical to my 200 amp hour batteries, only one inch wider side by side, which frees up a mess of space under the dinette base, and keeps me from having to locate the battery bank where the spare tire lives now. This in turn allows me space for BOTH a decent size fresh water tank AND a gray water tank.

Spent lots of time cleaning up as I am dailying this thing right now. My Pathfinder is having computer problems only the stealership seems to be able to fix.

Second thinking the idea of a 4wd conversion. I have a 9K lb winch on a cradle mount. A small lift enough to get some 33x12.50s under this thing and allow some flex, and a front receiver hitch to allow carrying that winch up front might just do what I need it to do. Not taking a camper van mudding intentionally, nor am I rock crawling it. I want to be able to explore logging roads / forest roads etc... without ending up in deep dookie... And I have a 4x4 pickup truck camper shell camper so no need for 2 4x4s...

Going to be working on installing the Velit gasoline heater shortly. Was planning on doing it this weekend but I ended up working the weekend... Just need to get the heater installed and electrical run. Shop is going to do the dip tube, fuel pump / exhuast etc... hookup for me.
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
FYI, more Starcool info
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nfo-26005.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote