Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #891
Site Team

Garage
Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Installed Aluminess' rear bumper bike rack. Had to replace the original SMB/Aluminess cargo box swing arm with a new one from Aluminess (bye-bye $500+) and kind-of wished we'd paid more attention to this option to begin with although Kenny said SMB doesn't offer the same configuration he does. Truthfully, though, we looked at pictures of similar systems on the forum and thought we'd be happier with our Yakima hitch-mount rack. So we had SMB put a hitch receiver on the front of the van. ($400.) Bad location for bikes: It extended the front end of the vehicle approx 1/2 mile, making it impossible to execute right hand turns on narrow streets, and increased Maalox consumption significantly as we watched the bikes dangling from the rack's dancing arms. (When you make a mistake with an SMB, you pay for it, though we're telling ourselves we can mount a spare tire on the front rack in future Alaskan or South American adventures.

Only problem is the new swing arm fit higher than the old arm's bracket on the bumper. Drilled new holes (won't say how many but > 2) only to discover the arm hung down to the old bracket's level when it had weight on it so I have to lift the entire operation to lock it into the new bracket location. Will probably put the bracket back in its original position.

Picked up a air of 4-gal. Reliance water jugs at Sportsman's Warehouse that fit perfectly between the cargo box and the bike racks.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomesd
I added bungee storage pouches to the ceiling in the upper bunk and under the PH bed. We're always looking for places to tuck little items.
Cool. Where did you acquire them?
I found them on a marine supply website but I forgot which one. I'll try to figure it out and let you know. They are quite handy for smaller stuff!
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #893
Site Team

Garage

I've seen different models of netting.

cargo pocket

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #894

Here is another source for a multitude of very usable items for the do it yourself individual . We have used a number of their products for our Boats, RV's and Vans over the last 10+ years . http://www.obecoinc.com or http://www.organizedobie.com
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #895
Site Team

Garage

Man, that's a great site for SMB's Gregg.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #896
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Man, that's a great site for SMB's Gregg.
What he said.

Herb
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #897
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Quote:
I added bungee storage pouches to the ceiling in the upper bunk and under the PH bed. We're always looking for places to tuck little items.
Cool. Where did you acquire them?
I found them on a marine supply website but I forgot which one. I'll try to figure it out and let you know. They are quite handy for smaller stuff!
Looks like they came from Greggd's link, http://www.organizedobie.com/. If so, do yuou remember why you chose these models over the other net pockets they have?

I'm curious how long were the screws that attach them nets to the bed & ceiling? Does anyone else (Greggd?) have a sense for the length of the screws for the other netting products on the Obie page?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #898

I/we have used numerous models and sizes primarily for our Boats and larger RV's and now the SportsMobiles , fastener choice is always predicated on load, size and mounting material . In our EB-50 we are somewhat limited according to our personal use and needs . With that said we have found the availability of colors , shapes and inset mountings very desirable , providing a factory look when installed . I have found their selection of fasteners particularly
useful .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #899

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Replaced a leaking pinion seal in the rear diff. Only hard part was finding a thin walled 33mm socket--ended up making one. The new seal from NAPA seemed much higher quality than the original so hopefully it'll last more than 39k miles. Also replaced the gear oil with Amsoil Severe Gear.

Also replaced the blown Skyjacker steering damper, and its mate, with Bilstein 5100 gas dampers using the Skyjacker mounts. Seems fine, and they fit better.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #900
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Also replaced the blown Skyjacker steering damper, and its mate, with Bilstein 5100 gas dampers using the Skyjacker mounts. Seems fine, and they fit better.

Z
Cool, glad to hear that.