Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #11

Re: Are solar panels in the N.E. worth it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Would also have to think about an additional 27lbs on my manual top.
Check out gcvt's install on the Renogy flexible panel. For just a little extra money, that looks to be a great way to save weight on your top.
Thanks for the input.

His top is smooth and my SMB roof has 5 horizontal ribs so I would need to support the panel over any valleys the panel would span. Do able but adds a step or two.

Still thinking of options. The thin panel weight WOULD BE VERY nice. I will start another thread soon on the refrig I am looking at. It's Energy Star rating indicates about a 25 watt average drain and if I am clever (and lucky) I might be able to reduce that to 20 watts with some simple mods. Will see. Have to get it first.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

Len,
the rigidity of the panel is probably similar to 1/8" ply. It is flexible, but not flimsy. I'd bet that you could simply velcro or use a thicker double side tape at the higher rib sections and then maybe put in fasteners at two corners just for added security without having flutter due to air flowing under the panel at the rib. If you felt that you needed to stiffen the leading edge, you could attach a 3/16"x1" aluminium bar across the top of the leading edge of the panel too.

I also saw a guy on an airstream forum/blog that built his own lightweight aluminum frames for use with the flexible panel which resulted in a lighter end product that the standard glass panel.

Even though I treat it as if it were very delicate the panel seems quite durable. I'm looking forward to getting mine mounted, but my application is similar to gcvt's so not much help for you.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Nothing scientific to back it up, but I think what greatly contributed to the failure of my flexible solar panels was that they constantly flexed in the wind while driving. I think a better way to describe the panels is that they are conformal (to a certain extent) to a curve. They don't handle constant flexing well.

Secure them so they don't flex.

Herb
Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
His top is smooth and my SMB roof has 5 horizontal ribs so I would need to support the panel over any valleys the panel would span. Do able but adds a step or two.
This very-detailed post from jwintersteller should tell you everything you need to know.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #15

Thanks for the link. It is an excellent write up. Really like when guys include sources for the products they use. Is jwintersteller still around??? His last post (as determined by name search) was a year ago. Would be nice to have an update.

Thanks again.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote