Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 04:20 AM   #1

Champion 2000W Gas/LPG Generator on Woot

Woot currently has the Champion Power Equipment 100402 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator on sale for $600 vs. $871 on Amazon:

https://tools.woot.com/offers/champi...d_cat_tool_7_5

I have no personal experience with this but it rates 4.5 stars on Amazon, 1,007 reviews. The dual fuel capacity is a big plus for Sportsmobiles and vans since it would be safe to carry the generator inside.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

That's pretty cool and a great deal. I just looked up Honda's 2000/2200 dba levels and they say 48-57. This little guy says 53 but that's a bit misleading. These generators idle up for demand, getting much louder than the unburdened idle setting. I wonder how loud it is at full tilt?

I also wonder what power draw, if any, gets 11 hrs of runtime out of it. My Honda is supposed to get 8 I think but I've never stumbled upon the magic load that gets that much runtime.

I am glad to see these generators improving and getting cheaper but at the end of the day there is one requirement, for me, that is high above everything else: noise.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #3

What’s enticing is to be able to run it off the onboard propane tank…
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #4

Garage
Hutch Mountain makes a great conversion kit for the Honda - I use it as BrianW suggests...high pressure quick connect under the rear bumper to power up my Honda.

https://www.hutchmountain.com/produc...conversion-kit

https://www.amazon.com/Grenergy-Gaso.../dp/B08KG3NSN1
Old 06-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Hutch Mountain makes a great conversion kit for the Honda - I use it as BrianW suggests...high pressure quick connect under the rear bumper to power up my Honda.

https://www.hutchmountain.com/produc...conversion-kit

https://www.amazon.com/Grenergy-Gaso.../dp/B08KG3NSN1
My Honda is an older model and the LPG conversions I've seen won't work on it.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #6

I just realized I titled it as 200w instead of 200w and can't change it.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #7

I have 2 of those units and a parallel kit. They're great!

The 53 db is at 1/4th load. Which it will stay under charging batteries. But it does kick up and get a bit noisy once you start running electric appliance. Not near as bad as an open-frame generator, but you won't make friends with camp neighbors if you run it under full load often.

Normally for my trailer, I only bring one unit, and it's mounted in an XL plastic tote, with an attic van in the lid, some holes drilled in the bottom for intake, and some heat shielding and steel-wool (for further sound absorption) on the exhaust side of the tote. From 25' away its imperceivable doing it's battery-charge duties. You only hear it when the microwave or electric kettle is running. I only run it from propane when it's closed up in the sound-box, because it does run noticeably cooler on propane.

I run the parallel kit when I have the van setup for special events. Not just because of total load, but because the audio system, irrigation pumps, and lights all have high peak-loads. But not at the same time. I've never tripped a break running the parallel kit, but had issues with my previous generator tripping easily from peak loads, even though the overall load on each unit is about the same. (you can see the generators at the back of the dance floor at about the 3-min mark here https://youtu.be/HJYeK_i5krs )
Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 AM   #8

Garage
@BCam - if yours is a Honda EU2000, they have/had a conversion for it. If you are interested I suggest you give them a call. Very accommodating and helpful group.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #9

Keeping in mind, based on search for "Honda Eu2000i propane usage", somewhere around 1.5 to 2 lbs per hour per generator. That will use a pretty good amount of on board propane in a day. An 8 gal propane tank holds about 36 lbs of propane if it could be filled completely. I think they are typically refilled to 80% ???