Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I totally thought this thread was about something else.
Ha, so did I. Could you imagine... hey there's somebody outside the van!
Attached Thumbnails
pot.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I totally thought this thread was about something else.
ME andwife too...It said "insta pot" we plugged it in and nothing appeared in the machine....I guess its not magic, just for food! Me thinks with the other responses a group trip to Colo, Wash, Oregon, Neveada, or California is in order!

But, we have made so many delicious dishes in ours...pot raost=1 hour with warm up time, perfect pasta in 15 min with sauce n sausage included! It really is a great tool...never thought to bring it with us!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

Thank you everyone for all the help. Sounds like we'll be leaving the instant pot and home and using our little gas grill and stove.
rj9294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj9294 View Post
Thank you everyone for all the help. Sounds like we'll be leaving the instant pot and home and using our little gas grill and stove.
Unless you're plugging in somewhere or have a generator? After reading your post, my wife and I were planning to take it on the next trip!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj9294 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help and insight. In regards to the batteries, yes, we only have a single 4D. Moving forward, I might have to look at getting another one.
On the other hand you could just get a regular pressure cooker and use that instead.

Cheaper, easier and just as effective. That's what I use for "Sunday meals" on long trips.

David
Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
I was thinking the same. GSI makes a couple of stove-top pressure cookers. I understand the convenience of the electric model though.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #17

Get one of these and you won't have to guess.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I was thinking the same. GSI makes a couple of stove-top pressure cookers. I understand the convenience of the electric model though.
Yup, the Instant Pot looks great but I'm guessing you need either shore power or haul a 2KW generator with you.

I looked at the GSI cooker on Amazon and it looks good, thanks.

David
Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #19
Site Team

Garage
The amp draw is about like running a microwave. I do use my microwave often w/o running the engine (short periods) but only to warm foods. I do have twin 4-D batteries which helps. Cooking for extended times requires running the engine. With my high amp alternator I can idle to supply more than enough power to operate high wattage equipment but the friggin 6.0 sounds like a tank even at idle. Not an issue while boon docking but I just can't see bringing something along that can only be used from time to time. I can see the advantages of a pressure cooker in reducing cooking times though. I do carry a Thermos non-electric cooker. The pot can be used in different ways and it keeps food hot or cold for hours. I can pre-package cooked foods, then boil in the bag and eat when I want too w/o stuff getting cold. The unit really holds heat for a long time and it is nice to have a large pot that can also be used as a standard cooking vessel. I also store smaller pots inside the cooker when stowed away.
  • The cook carry system lets you bring hot or cold food anywhere, and keeps it at the proper temperature for hours, without electricity.
  • Thermos double wall vacuum insulation locks-in temperature to preserve flavor and freshness
  • Works like a non-electric slow cooker so you can prepare delicious meals while doing other things
  • Can keep hot food above 160F for over 8 hours after boiling
  • Energy efficient class 18/8 stainless steel inner pot is dishwasher safe for easy clean
Attached Thumbnails
thermos.jpg  

Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #20

I doubled my 4D battery so I have two 4Ds in order to support a 1300w toaster. Otherwise my setup is nearly identical to yours. Having two 4Ds allowed me to toast for 3 to 5 minutes a day (~2.5 minutes per meal, not 5 minutes at the same time).

That alone was hard on the batteries. I don't think you're going to be using the pot for short bursts so my layman's estimate is ... no way unless you're on shore power.

Learn the joys of a cast iron dutch oven or plan other meals. Save the insta pot for when you're plugged in.