Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #11

Re: Overland Navigator

Hey guys... I like the Mac. I've been using FreeBSD since the early 90s, learned how to program on the Apple ][e, and have almost always had an Apple in my stable of computers. In this case, Apple just doesn't offer any field friendly hardware. On the PC side there is a plethora of computers that are sunlight visible, touchscreen, ruggedized, integrated GPS, 7" tablets, 10" tablets, 21" convertible tablets, etc. I'd love to support the Mac, and we are considering it, *but* right now it just doesn't look like it would pan out.

On the other side, I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a Mac vs PC debate. At this point in their evolution, both really are great platforms for end users and developers alike.

Anyone have any questions about Overland Navigator?

Craig

Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #12

Craig,

Here are some questions.

If I understand correctly, your programme enables to see topographic maps, locate on it, save the path and waypoints.
Can one do preparation work with it? plan and save routes, follow pre programmed routes? Up/Down load from/on a GPS device?

Can one create our own maps or only your maps? Only US maps available or other countries also?

Thanks for explaining your product, my back ground is using fugawi and ozi-explorer in africa and am preparing the States.

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
:

Don't macs have windows emulators or something?
They do for the intel-based macs. However, until this weekend (My wife buying an MBPro for my B-day), I have been using my Powerbook and Powermac that have the old Power PC processors.

Back to Craig......

If I have the Windoze emulator, will your Software work? And also what GPS unit would you suggest on purchasing with your software?

Thanks...Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #14

Andrew,

Overland Navigator isn't trying to compete with Fugawi and Ozi Explorer. Those are both great tools for planning trips, up/downloading them to your handheld GPS and generally doing desktop type work. Overland Navigator is designed to turn your computer into a GPS.

Right now, it does not support track/waypoint creation/editing. It will. Despite most handheld GPS devices not supporting this, it is a common scenario. You are following a route, you hit a gate, and need to plan a new route in the field. This is something that is high on my list of features but isn't currently supported.

I don't anticipate ever supporting the ability to up/download maps/tracks/waypoints from a handheld GPS. This is because Overland Navigator is designed to be the GPS rather than a GPS desktop helper.

User provided maps aren't supported yet, but it will. There are many times when the user has custom maps that are more appropriate than the maps that we sell. The internal framework is there to support it but we haven't created an easy to use "Map Creator/Importer" utility to make it possible yet.

Craig
Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #15

Ray,

I haven't done any testing on the Macintosh with a Windows emulator so I can't tell you if it will work or not.

I like the Globastat BU-353 GPS. It has the SIRF III chipset which is the same chipset that you will find inside the Garmin 60CSx and other popular handheld models. It is a very very good GPS.
http://spatialminds.com/BU353-Global...B000V5TV22.htm

For a cleaner install, but one that requires drilling, check out the Might GPS Weatherproof GPS. This has essentially the same specs as the BU-353 but has a through hull mount. One small hole and the wiring drops in under the headliner. If you ever want to patch it a rubber plug, or a plastic plug and silicone work great. This is the GPS that I use.

http://mightygps.com/WeatherproofGPSReceiver.htm
Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #16

Thank you Craig for the detailled feedback.

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #17

For those that might be interested, the latest version of Overland Navigator has been released. It was supposed to be a minor release but we wound up adding a few features anyway.

Some of the new features include:
  • APRS specific NMEA support [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • Location specific Sunrise / Sunset times [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • UTM Coordinate Display [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • Continuous GPS Track Storage to Disk[/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • GPS Output to external devices [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • NMEA logging [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • Display preferences [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • High end GPS support - Track up to 64 satellites [/*:m:1m01lroj]
  • Bugfixes and performance enhancements[/*:m:1m01lroj]

There is a more complete description on the webpage, but a brief explanation of the APRS display support as it is the most significant new feature. NOTE: Overland Navigator remains as simple to use as ever for non-HAM/APRS users. APRS allows a GPS and HAM radio to be combined to broadcast your postion over the airwaves. Others listen for these location beacons and can plot them on a map/GPS such as Overland Navigator. Repeaters repeat the signals so they can travel for a very long distance. Gateways take the locations and add them to a database that is accessible via the Internet by friends/family (E.g. http://aprs.fi). APRS can do much more, but this is the basic description.

The software supports the APRS specific NMEA sentences that the Kenwood D7xx radios, Tiny Tracker 4, Argent Data Systems, etc trackers output. This allows Overland Navigator to display APRS specific symbols on the map. The radio/tnc/tracker is still responsible for handling the beaconing of your location.

You connect your GPS to Overland Navigator for input, then connect Overland Navigator to your tracker as it's GPS input. The tracker uses this connection to send any stations it heard back to Overland Navigator. This is, for example, the same way that you'd hook up a Garmin GPS to a tracker. There are some advantages to using Overland Navigator over a regular GPS though.

In contrast to most GPS units, when new stations are heard, Overland Navigator will update the location on the map instead of adding an additional waypoint. This greatly reduces the amount of on-screen clutter and removes the need to manually delete waypoints.

The APRS waypoints automatically fade away and then expire on their own. This lets you visually see how long it's been since you last heard from an APRS station. You can set the interval. If you have it set to 40 minutes, and a symbol is just about ready to disappear then you know it's been about 40 minutes since you last heard from it.

Finally, we tried to redo all the APRS symbols to have a consistent look/feel , offer more contrast with the background maps, and to be distinguishable from regular Overland Navigator waypoints (square).

Primary Symbols

Secondary Symbols

Craig
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #18

Oh, and while I can't support it, I have been told by existing customers that it does run under Parallels on the Mac.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #19

Wow, the ability to see where all your friends are real-time is very cool! Makes me want to look into getting a HAM license again.

-- Geoff
Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #20

Craig

I am just beginning to get into APRS so this is timely news. I have a few questions for you.

My TNC is a kit built TNC-X which is a KISS based. Is that compatible?

Is a Garmin GPS-18 USB puck (plugged into the laptop) compatible? I currently have a Garmin GPS-18 wired into the TNC. It passes data to the TNC but it doesn't seem to pass data on to the laptop. Still working on the problem but I thought I would buy another USB GPS and plug it directly into the laptop.

For my laptop I currently I have been using UI-View and thinking about buying precision maps. Would your software take the place of both those?

I currently also have the Nat Geo Topo maps, so would I have to scrap those and buy your map packages instead?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote